cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 3 / DPP4

victorbalau
Apprentice

Hello,

I have been using Canon DSLRs and mirrorless cameras in the last 10 years or so. I have been using DPP 3 with great success in terms of quality of output and speed of processing. However, DPP 3 does not have support for RAW files from somewhat newer cameras (Canon RP, Canon 200d and so on). Therefore, I have tried to use DPP 4 to develop the RAW files. Despite how great is in terms of features, I have come to some issues:

- the speed is nowhere near the one in DPP 3

- when pulling the sliders to adjust certain things in the image(brightness, shadows, highlights etc), the image is updated in some back and forth flickering such that it is not clear which is the real variant after the respective filter is applied and that will be exported as a jpeg.

- in DPP 4, preferences, Image Processing 2, I cannot check "Use graphics processor to speed up preview display"; it is not available. The GPU inside my PC has CUDA cores enabled

Is there a solution for the problems above? Can you provide library update to DPP 3 such that we have the basic stuff but extremely fast working? Can I make something such that DPP 4 will operate normally? My PC has a AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16 GB RAM, nvidia 1080. 

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

The drop in speed and the fluttering when applying changes with the sliders both sound memory/processing related to me, although we can't be 100% sure. One thing I would do to confirm whether or not this is the case would be to test both programs using the exact same RAW file so we can cancel out the possibility that the delay and stuttering we are seeing is from a higher fidelity file from a newer camera with more resolution. I would also recommend checking to see if the delay still exists when working on a file in the local drive versus an external drive. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I see that you have an AMD processor. There have been a number of posts about various problems on the forum from folks with AMD processors. Not sure if that is related to what you are seeing.

Does your computer have a built-in motherboard GPU as well as the Nvidia GPU? Is it possible that the system is using that one? I have an Nvidia 1050Ti and have no problem selecting the GPU option in DPP4.

It never hurts to download and reinstall that latest version of DPP4.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

victorbalau
Apprentice

I have tried several raw files(same files), from different cameras in both programs - 5D, 5D mark II, 6D, 200D, RP(the last two only in DPP 4, since they cannot be opened in DPP 3; for those I have tried CR2 and CR3, they exhibit the same behavior). The only files which run with the same speed in both programs and do not flutter are those from the 5D. 

The configuration for my PC, which was built on demand, so it is not a laptop, are:

- AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600, 35MB, 4.2 GHz

- Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4

- GPU - MSI GeForce® GTX 1080 GAMING X, 8GB GDDR5X, 256-bit

ADATA XPG Gammix D10, 16GB (2x8GB), DDR4, 3200MHz, CL16

Solid-State Drive (SSD) Kingston A2000, 500GB, NVMe, M.2 -> 2200 MB/s read rate

There is no integrated GPU.

I have the latest version for both DPP 3 (3.45) and DPP 4 (4.16).

Thank you!

If you post a file(s) in Dropbox I will try it with my computer. W10 w/Intel I7. 

List the editing steps you used so I can try and duplicate what you did.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

victorbalau
Apprentice

Hello,

You can find a few RAW files from 6 different cameras here:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/mjsh1xv0mfakxhdprpv3i/h?dl=0&rlkey=iibnjdghj73yh8jbnk4uo8hv1

Thank you very much!

I downloaded the files. Chose one from each camera type. No issues adjusting images. No flickering as you described. Convert and save to 16 bit TIFF. longest write time was maybe 20 seconds; most just a few seconds.

I suggest you try and find someone with an Intel chipset and see what happens.

My spec is: 

Screenshot 2022-03-26 190238.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you! I will find somebody who can let me use their PC and come back with the findings.

Announcements