cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing info settings on a 1DS MKII

johnfnall
Apprentice

I recently bought a 1DS MKII, and noticed that when I import pics taken by this camera into Lightroom 4, the Creator/Artist name listed is the previous owner. 

I understand that the EOS utility software provided that capability but apparently there is no updates utility that will run on my new iMac with the Mountain Lion OS.  I did load up an older version, but when I hook up the camera, I get a message that the camera can't be recognized.  That's funny because it doesn't tell me that until I plug in the camera.  So it is being recognized but the utility can't work with it.

Can anyone suggest how I can change the internal info in the camera that brands my pictures as those taken by the previous camera owner?   Thankd!

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

Can't help you with Mac suggestions but Windows XP is the last OS to recognize the needed software & it's done via Firewire. You'd likely need a much older Mac OS to do it. (I have & use a 1Ds2 & it's an excellent camera but no longer supported).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It looks like EOS Utility 2.7.x was the latest version that could talk to the 1Ds II (I think the current version is 2.13.0).   That version of EOS Utility was supported up through Mac OS X 10.5.  

Do you happen to have an old copy of the OS?  If you have an external hard drive you might be able to install the OS to an external drive and then boot from it.

You can boot from any alternate device by holding down the [alt/option] key on the Mac while the system is performing it's power on self-test (e.g. hit the power button, press and hold [alt/option] on your keyboard and just keep holding... rather than booting, the screen will display a list of devices that can be used as boot devices.)

You'd install OS X 10.5 (or earlier) on an external hard drive.  Boot from that drive.  Install EOS Utility to the applications folder on that drive, then use EOS Utility to update the camera.

Another option is to ask around to see if you can find a friend who owns a Mac that still runs 10.5 -or- that runs either Windows XP or Windows Vista (it looks like they did support EOS Utility 2.7.3 on Vista) AND has an IEEE 1394 (aka "Firewire") port.  Finding a PC with a Firewire / IEEE 1394 port might be challenging... not many have them whereas pretty much every mac has a Firewire port (even the newest Thunderbolt I/O macs have Firewire adapters that are pretty inexpensive.)

You really just need it long enough to update your name on the camera and you'll never probably never need it again.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Spoiler
Tim, I found a laptop running XP professional.  I also found a software disk that came with the camera and loaded EOS utility 2.0 from that. I opened Utility and plugged in the camera.  While the camera was recognized, the utility only gave me one interaction option; the other three could not be selected.  Other software for viewing pictures etc also failed to find pictures on the camera's flash drive.  Note: the laptop doesn't have firewire outlets...just USB.
Spoiler
I'm wondering if I'm using the right cable or the right camera port.  I think I might just change the creator/artist designations in Lightroom manually.  But, thanks for your idea. 
Spoiler

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements