cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Utility Malfunctioning with Win 11

Wilbo
Contributor

I use a Stackshot rail system with an EOS T7 camera for microphotography.  The EOS Utility enables the camera to send the photos as they are taken to my laptop where I can process them w. stacking software. About a week ago I upgraded my sub 1 year old laptop to Windows 11 (from 10).  Ever since, I have not been able to get through a stack of photos without getting a "connection lost" message.  In a stack of 80 photos, I might get to 23 and from then on, the camera keeps functioning, but the photos don't arrive at the laptop.  At first, I thought it might be a loose connection or defective cable.  I replaced an AC camera adapter w. the camera battery thinking the adapter might have failed.  But, I still got the disconnect message often associated with a big red X over the EOS software photo frame. 

So, I replaced my new laptop with the one I had previously used for photo stacking.  Everything worked perfectly again.  Thinking the Utility may have been corrupted by the Win 11 download process itself, this morning I once again hooked up the Win 11 laptop to my camera setup, uninstalled the EOS Utility, restarted it, and then downloaded the most recent version.  Almost immediately I got the "connection lost" message again.  

It seems pretty clear, Windows 11 and EOS Utility are not getting along well together.  I can only think that until Canon upgrades the EOS Utility specifically for the Win 11 OS, I will just have to continue to use my old Win 7 laptop.  I have yet to see if the Win 11 download is reversible. 

Please let me know if you've had a problem...or not...with a similar photo equipment configuration.

20 REPLIES 20

BlueHen73
Contributor

I have used WIFI with my 80d, and find it slow and clunky. But it's great to move stuff to a phone in the field.

Retired, teacher, stringer, free-lancer, consultant. Too much still and video stuff to list; 70-200 still fav lens.
Announcements