cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Utility Malfunctioning with Win 11

Wilbo
Contributor

I use a Stackshot rail system with an EOS T7 camera for microphotography.  The EOS Utility enables the camera to send the photos as they are taken to my laptop where I can process them w. stacking software. About a week ago I upgraded my sub 1 year old laptop to Windows 11 (from 10).  Ever since, I have not been able to get through a stack of photos without getting a "connection lost" message.  In a stack of 80 photos, I might get to 23 and from then on, the camera keeps functioning, but the photos don't arrive at the laptop.  At first, I thought it might be a loose connection or defective cable.  I replaced an AC camera adapter w. the camera battery thinking the adapter might have failed.  But, I still got the disconnect message often associated with a big red X over the EOS software photo frame. 

So, I replaced my new laptop with the one I had previously used for photo stacking.  Everything worked perfectly again.  Thinking the Utility may have been corrupted by the Win 11 download process itself, this morning I once again hooked up the Win 11 laptop to my camera setup, uninstalled the EOS Utility, restarted it, and then downloaded the most recent version.  Almost immediately I got the "connection lost" message again.  

It seems pretty clear, Windows 11 and EOS Utility are not getting along well together.  I can only think that until Canon upgrades the EOS Utility specifically for the Win 11 OS, I will just have to continue to use my old Win 7 laptop.  I have yet to see if the Win 11 download is reversible. 

Please let me know if you've had a problem...or not...with a similar photo equipment configuration.

20 REPLIES 20

I'm not sure it will solve your problem, but if you manually select Windows 11 in the OS dropdown you will find EOS Utility. It is the same 3.15 version listed for W10.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hasn't worked for me so far...

Retired, teacher, stringer, free-lancer, consultant. Too much still and video stuff to list; 70-200 still fav lens.

So, you've been having a similar problem?

Thanks, John for your reply.  I see we're practically neighbors since I'm in Campton.  Yes, it's interesting to note that the same download apparently is supposed to work for Win 11.  The 3.15 version is the one I most recently downloaded. And, yet, I have the same problem with it whether I use the version for my old Windows 7 laptop or the 3.15 version for Windows10/11. Every time I start a photo it's as if a timer starts and I have an allotted time window.  Many times photo setup for lighting, use of diffusers and orientation of the micromineral specimen takes more time than for others.  And of course the larger the stack, the longer the process too.  I'm usualy dealing with anywhere from 70 to 100 shots.  If I have a simple straight-forward setup, a well-exposed crystal and a shallow stack I can make it before time runs out.

Bob W.

Been using the most recent software. Uninstalled and reinstalled too. I'm still not certain this is Windows or camera problem! 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

This is not to engage with the Windows compatibility issue per se: but as a functional work-around, can you not simply stack all the images to a large capacity card, then remove the card from the camera and insert it into a reader attached to your computer to copy the images using the computer's File Manager - that should work no matter what.  At least you should be able to work then!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks, Tronhard.  Yes, it's something I should try to see if I'm affected by any kind of a time limit doing it this way. Since there would be no laptop involved till actual photo processing, there shouldn't be.  But, the whole idea of working from the small camera LCD versus from a laptop screen for photo setup is a real negative.  So, I agree with Blue Hen on this that it's just not terribly convenient.  I'm not sure how you get Canon's attention on this.   

BlueHen73
Contributor

That, of course, works just fine. I can even connect a USB cord from camera to computer and transfer as though it were a drive. I'm just annoyed/disappointed/inconvenienced that the transfer utility doesn't work. I'm considering another new body, but I would like the software to be up-to-date. I've been using Canon since 1974, when I switched over from Nikon, and this is one of the most annoying issues with whick I've been forced to deal.

Retired, teacher, stringer, free-lancer, consultant. Too much still and video stuff to list; 70-200 still fav lens.

I understand. I began using a mix of Canon and Nikon SLRs until I concentrated on Canon from 2000 with the new DSLR platform.  I still shoot predominantly Canon, but also Fuji, Nikon, Olympus and Sony.   Frankly, I find there are pro's and con's with each, but for me to switch my main platform from Canon elsewhere would be far too expensive - too much investment in gear, and Canon's interface is my favourite!
I have never actually engaged with using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to transfer files - I found it simpler, more reliable and actually faster to just plug a card into a computer, but I accept you have a difference preference - at least you have the physical method to fall back on until things get sorted.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

So, are you having the same problem?  That is, that your PC connection is lost after a certain amount of time in your photo taking process?  If so, you're the only other person to chime in so far.  There could be others out there that don't search out the forum.   As I indicated, changing camera body didn't prevent the problem.  I just got a couple minutes more time with the T3i than the T6 for some inexplicable reason.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements