cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Connect, won't connect

AngeloTX
Apprentice

Similar to others here, I'm having a terrible time getting the Canon Connect app sync my new R6MKii to my S22Plus Android. I spent quite a bit of time downloading, syncing, canceling, forgetting, reinstalling, and all the rest, while writing down my steps to see what the issue was. 

I then gave up on my Android (which is my primary phone) and tried it on my iPhone and it worked fine. Which tells me the issue is the Android version of the app. The hang-up seems to be when the app is attempting the WiFi "handshake" between the devices, because the bluetooth seems to work fine but the final WiFi step is where the swirl happens.  Anyone aware of Canon's App Developers working on an update for this? 

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Android working well for me.  I'll try and help if you like.  

Canon Connect For Android with EOS R5 C - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

 Hi Shadowsports, I gave it a shot again and still no dice.This is the hang up that keeps happening. It just swirls on this screen and never completes the wifi "handshake". Gonne try and find time tomorrow or next to call Canon Support.  

Screenshot_20221220_203805_Camera Connect.jpg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Doesn't that key icon at the top of your display indicate you are using VPN?  I'm on a Pixel, stock Android which doesn't use Samsung's skin.

With the Camera's wifi on and broadcasting, (Outside of the Canon Connect App) do you see it in your list of available wireless networks?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Shadowsports! It was the VPN blocking the connection. So I'm now able to connect and remotely operate the camera, however, I'm now not able to reconnect after disconnecting, without having to forget and repair the Bluetooth connection on the phone and camera. Not the biggest inconvenience but still a bug I'd like Canon to address. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Great to hear.  Good progress.  Let me think on the Bluetooth issue.  All of this is sounding permissions related.  I'm not having any issues repairing devices.   

Android has a newer security feature called Nearby Devices.  Under the guise of security, It has data aggregation written all over it.  Apple has something similar, but I forget what they are calling it.  Please check if the Canon Connect App is present there.  Its under Privacy > Nearby Device, permissions.  It might only prompt once.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements