cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Compatibility File Format MacOS

JarrallB
Apprentice

Hello! I'm looking to change my normal flow and potentially switch from saving my raw files in .CR3 to another format. I am after best compatibility from MacOS perspective (e.g. previewing in finder with space, printing CR3, no corruption, etc) and Affinity/Lightroom perspective.

My question is does anyone on MacOS purposely save their raws with a format other that .CR3 and if so, why?

More background, I'm shooting on a Canon RP and use a M2 MacBook Pro which is "Apple Silicon". I've experienced slow preview times for CR3s and occasional image corruption after only previewing. Often when importing to photos, applying edits, and saving will corruption happen. If any of these issues could be avoided with another file format I'm interested to hear!

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Your only other options are jpeg or a third party DNG converter, but I don't know if DNG raw support is any better.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I believe the camera saves images in only two formats, RAW and JPG.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What software are you using? If you are using Canon DPP4 it is not compatible with M2. Converting to TIFF probably won’t resolve the problem. And DPP4 won’t recognize DNG. 

You mentioned Lightroom. Since LrC doesn’t alter the original file are you seeing corruption w/LrC?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Lightroom CC (stronger on, trying to wean off of), Affinity Photo (weaker on, actively learning). Would use DPP if available on Mac. I'd even use photos app if it didn't corrupt .cr3 files.

Announcements