cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7Dm2 image not rotating on PC

RPAspey
Contributor

Hi, I'm having an issue with my pictures not auto rotating on my PC. I have my 7Dm2 set to rotate on PC only (same setting as on my 7Dm1). I use the EOS Utility 3.1.00 to download the images to my hard drive and DPP 4.1.50.0 to process them. If I shoot RAW then process to JPEG then the pictures will be properly rotated. If I shoot JPEG, the images taken in portrait will not rotate to portrait. In DPP 4, they are properly rotated. On my Windows explorer they are not rotated.

Another thing that may be related, on previous versions of DPP, I could make changes to RAW of JPEG images. In DPP 4 I can only make changes to RAW images.

What am I missing here?

6 REPLIES 6

Mykolas
Authority

Hi RPAspey!

Thanks for posting.

Auto-rotation data is appended to the EXIF information of each image and it is up to the software reading that data to see it and automatically rotate the images.  When you load the images in DPP, our software will auto-rotate the images.  However, in Windows Explorer, the images will not automatically rotate.  Also, auto-rotation is only for display purposes only.  The actual image is never rotated.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

RPAspey
Contributor
That's weird as pictures from my 7D1 did auto rotate. Only difference i can think of is that I reinstalled Windows 7 pro before I started using the 7D2. I have uploaded many portrait rotated pictures taken with the 7D1 to my website yet I don't recall rotating any. Huh. I'll have to think on this some more.

@RPAspey wrote:
That's weird as pictures from my 7D1 did auto rotate. Only difference i can think of is that I reinstalled Windows 7 pro before I started using the 7D2. I have uploaded many portrait rotated pictures taken with the 7D1 to my website yet I don't recall rotating any. Huh. I'll have to think on this some more.

I think Windows 7 (unlike Windows 😎 still requires the Canon RAW Codec in order to process .CR2 files reliably. So make sure you have the latest version of that. Something else that might help is to specify, at the Windows level, the DPP Viewer as the default program for displaying .CR2 files.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You bring up something I did notice on the W7 reinstall, I didn't have to install the Codec pack to see the raws. I thought that was peculiar. I keep all the programs/disk with addons like codecs in one "box" so if I have to do a reinstall everything is there. And one of those disks is the codec pack I used for the 7D1. But I think I will go to MS website and see if I have the latest Codec.

My normal workflow is something like this... Go to sport event and shoot in RAW or JPEG depending on ISO used due to lighting. Download using the EOS utilities. Sort with DPP 4 Quick Check tool as I have my graphics tablet buttons programmed to make it a quick process. Then use CS5 to process the CR2 files from the 7D1 or DPP 4 for the 7D2 CR2 files. De-noise as needed. Post to website. If I shoot JPEG, Skip the processing and de-noise, just go straight to posting. I'd really hate to have to keep rotating all JPEGS that were shot in portrait then resaving them as the resave adds little artifacts not to mention the time it takes to rotate a couple of hundred pictures.

Thanks.

EDIT: I don't have the rotation problems when I process the raw files, only when I shoot the JPEGS. Also, I've updated the Codecs so I'll let you know what happens after tonights swim meet.

RPAspey
Contributor

well, the lighting was bad at the meet last night so I shot only RAW. I had no problems with the RAW previews not being rotated and of course the TIF files from DPP 4 were correctly oriented. So, I try again tonight with a basketball game. I know the gym and the lighting is reasonable enough to shoot jpegs only.

RPAspey
Contributor

OK, I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to rotate the JPEGS myself. Oh well. I have been to basketball game (shot JPEG), another swim meet (shot RAWs) and a wrestling match (JPEG). Only the JPEGS from RAW were rotated (as expected).  The whole thing is just weird though.

Here are some pix from the last few events..EOS 7D Mark II_2015_01_14_6522.jpg

and another..EOS 7D Mark II_2015_01_15_7318.jpgEOS 7D Mark II_2015_01_15_9188_dpp.jpg

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements