cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivitar wide angle wide angle converter on EOS Rebel T7?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Wish I had known about the community before buying a package deal. I had taken some things out of the backpack to make room for some other things this past weekend. Here is what I found with complete description:Vivitar HD4 MC AF High Definition 0.43X Wide Angle Converter W/Macro Japan Optics. My camera is a Canon T7.

Your help in how to use it, besides as a paper weight, is appreciated.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Many thanks for the info. It has a metal housing and is a bit heavy for its size. I'll keep it in the backpack or camera bag so it will look like I know what I'm doing.😋

John

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It screws on to the front of the lens. It may or may not be a good paperweight, but it is not something to put on your camera. 

Lousy image quality and possibility of damaging your lens; newer lenses have a lot of plastic and the weight of the adapter could affect lens and focusing motor..

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Many thanks for the info. It has a metal housing and is a bit heavy for its size. I'll keep it in the backpack or camera bag so it will look like I know what I'm doing.😋

John

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'll keep it in the backpack or camera bag so it will look like I know what I'm doing."

On the contrary that will not only tell folks of your photographic knowledge but will confirm the lack thereof. These "adapters" are not only horrible IQ wise that can damage your kit lens to the point of turning it into a paper weight.

The place for it or any other screw on front gadget is the circle file.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

EB, good reply but I am having to go to a large camera bag with the backpack as backup. The lens in question will be relegated to a desk drawer. Besides, none of my friends would know what it would be used for.

John

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well you do as you see fit but garbage is garbage.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ctitanic
Enthusiast

My experience with those "converters" to screw on front of your lens is bad. Anything that you screw on front of your lens could impact the quality of your photos. Even filters impact quality but these magnifiers are the worse. 

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R7, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF18-150, RF50.
Flickr

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi John,

I'm in agreement with the others.  Its trash and is not worth the space or weight it takes up.  A lot of people are enticed to buy "kits" from sellers, many of whom might not be authorized resellers.  They pad the price with their gadgets and gear, much of which is low quality.  Filters that are not of high optical quality, don't pass 100% light transmission or actually swallow up a stop of light. Tripods you wouldn't want to trust mounting your gear on, cards that may or may not be counterfeit.  Flashes that may fire, but won't communicate with your body or might BBQ themselves after a short period of use are examples.  Lighten your load.  Save your back, neck and shoulders.😃 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements