cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd lens and need help here - Vivitar 0.43X Wide Angle Converter

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I was searching for something and found this lens. I got it with the T7 kit about 6 years ago, filed it in a desk drawer and forgot about it. Here is the description: Vivitar HD4 MC AF High Definition 0.43X Wide Angle Converter W/Macro. The Macro lens unscrews from the lens body and marked only Macro. OK, what is it for? How do I use it besides a paper weight? Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
7 REPLIES 7

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

You attach it to the front of your lens, like a filter, to either give your lens a wider angle or macro effect, or both. Try it and see what you think.

Here is a review.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Put it back in your desk drawer, or use it as a paperweight.  These screw-on tele- and wide angle adapters (the macro isn't really macro) are cheap junk used to make "kits" for unknowing people to buy. They can even do damage because the weight hanging off the front of an autofocus lens is a strain on the lens.

You don't say what EF or EF-S lens(es) you have. There are lots of options, including on the used market, to add to your lens repertoire.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you didn't comprehend what the reply above said read it again. Read it several times. The kit lens included with a Rebel T7 is not built strong enough to take that added abuse and weight. I doubt that add-on will even make a good paper weight. Don't put it back in the drawer. Deposit it in the circle file since you seem tempted to try it even after 6  years.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

John, most, including me, will tell you to return it to the drawer or better yet, just trash it. Some say it will damage your kit because of the added weight to the end of the lens but I find that unlikely. You would probably have a better chance of damaging the lens threads from a bad fit as this particular brand is of poor quality. I suggested in the other thread (Accessories) that you should attach it and see what you think. I suggested that so that you could see for yourself just what these devices do so you could decide for yourself if it would be of benefit plus it would be a learning experience. Some folks use them and there is obviously a market for them or they wouldn't be in production. I see them as a poor mans way to "dip their toes" in the world of wide angle or macro without laying out big money on dedicated lenses for that purpose. The quality is poor, IMO, but that is to be expected of a $20 add on. Still regardless of what others think or say, you are the one behind the camera.

Newton 

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Some folks use them and there is obviously a market for them or they wouldn't be in production."

True but some folks think an iphone is a good camera. Its all in what your requirements and goals are. If you move out of the, "I think and iphone is a good camera", and into a digital interchangeable lens camera, the cheap add-on  is nothing but trash and a waste of even $20 bucks. IMHO, as always. It is a gimmick to get the uninformed beginner  to spend money on what to them looks like a huge kit for a bargain price.

"Some say it will damage your kit because of the added weight to the end of the lens but I find that unlikely."

That is not what the most damaging part for these attachments is. The real damage is screwing it on to tightly and twisting the fragile kit lens too far. Plus then the difficulty of removing it which is far greater than the kit lens was designed to handle. Before the kung flu virus, I did DSLR 101 classes. Mostly moms and mostly Rebels with kit lenses. Yes some, even a lot of the moms bought these kits from Amazon and got that screw on lens some even had a tele version. I saw more than one time problems with them and that is why I say deposit it in the circle file and forget it. Now its your lens and your attachment so you go ahead and do as you see fit. Best way get informed about stuff for sure is from experience!

EB

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I intend to play with it and see what it can do or can't do. The weight isn't that much but I'll check it.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

As I mentioned it isn't the weight as much (although not good) as it is the screwing it onto the Rebel kit lens. If you are not very careful you will damage your lens. Note, I said you will damage it not you could damage it. I have seen it.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements