cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement batteries for older cameras: SX50 (NB-10L)

778B
Contributor

I have searched several online platforms, such as Amazon, Ebay, AliExpress, BH, and others, for a replacement battery for my camera. However, I have found that the non-OEM batteries available are of low quality and have many negative reviews. They do not perform well and they lose their charge quickly, either due to poor manufacturing or they're old stock.

I have also checked the official Canon website and they do have the NB-10L battery in stock, but it is very expensive and I have no way of knowing when it was produced. I have tried to contact Canon support to ask them about this, but I have not been able to find a direct chat or email option on their website. This has caused me a lot of frustration and dissatisfaction. I do not understand why they do not provide better customer service.

My SX50 camera is in excellent condition and I would hate to discard it. However, I am also wondering if it is worth keeping it, considering the high cost of batteries and performance issues. On the other hand, I really enjoy the camera's zoom feature and that is what I use it for most of the time.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on where to buy OEM new Canon batteries and/or how to reach Canon support.

15 REPLIES 15

rs-eos
Elite

You'll get what you pay for.  Personally, I only ever use Canon-branded batteries for their equipment.

B&H Photo does have the NB-10L in stock.  It's a couple dollars less than Canon's price.  You'll find though that genuine Canon parts sold at authorized Canon resellers will be at the same exact price as what Canon's own store has it, or slightly less.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

778B
Contributor

Thanks. But there's no mention on how old the batteries are. Even without use (in storage) lithium batteries will degrade over time especially if fully discharged. I'm suspecting these batteries that B&H may be old stock from 10 years ago or NON-OEM. They also won't ship to Canada.

778B
Contributor

I recently contacted Canon to request the manufacturing dates for their NB-10L batteries. Canon's customer service representatives (CSRs) denied that the batteries have any manufacturing dates, even though I sent them a photo of an OEM battery that clearly shows the manufacturing date of 201208.

I am very disappointed with Canon's response. This leads me to believe one of two things:

• Canon's CSRs are either ignorant or poorly trained about the manufacturing dates of their batteries.
  • Canon is selling non-OEM batteries as premium OEM batteries.

Either way, this is very unethical behavior on Canon's part. I am now very skeptical of Canon's products and services, and I will likely not purchase their products in the future.

I would like to hear from other Canon users about their experiences with the NB-10L battery. Have you had any problems with the manufacturing date of your battery? Have you contacted Canon about this issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Canon is selling non-OEM batteries as premium OEM batteries."

That is not the case. Canon only sells authentic Canon brand batteries.

Agreed!  Such a statement from 778B would need substantiating.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Haha! I had assumed that with your seniority, you would have mastered the art of distinguishing between a statement and an opinion. Nevertheless, it's understandable; nowadays, the way people perceive information seems to be more distorted than ever before.

@778B wrote:

Haha! I had assumed that with your seniority, you would have mastered the art of distinguishing between a statement and an opinion. Nevertheless, it's understandable; nowadays, the way people perceive information seems to be more distorted than ever before.

When people are genuinely trying to assist you, and you start being childish about it, don't expect us to bend over backwards to help you.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Or the CSR is thousands of miles away from the batteries and has no easy way to check the manufacturing date.

That's of course reasonable They can of course get a random batch tested should they not have a date stamp printed (mine does); Even if I post the pic here, people like @Tronhard would accuse me of something wild, like photoshopping the date. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements