cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 600 or 800mm f/11 tripod collar (the lack of...)

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

I have the rather wonderful RF 800mm f/ll lens and have been perplexed by its tripod foot - which doesn't rotate. Most long lenses come with a tripod collar that rotates, so you can switch from landscape to portrait easily while on a tripod, for instance on a gimbal head. My 800mm lens is ideally suited to use on a gimbal head, except that you can't turn it to portrait layout.

I discovered on Ebay a Chinese manufactured item that gives the lens an ARCA compatible foot, and also an extension off to the side which gives it a vertically oriented second ARCA foot.

1.JPG

You have to release the lens from its ARCA shoe on the gimbal and then re-mount it on its vertical foot, but it works. It's nicely milled, not as cheap as some third party items. And it gets around the lens' lack of collar.

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to act as visual aid.]

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I've seen posts from others on youtube about this.  They as you did, either made something themselves or found an alternative.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I've seen posts from others on youtube about this.  They as you did, either made something themselves or found an alternative.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements