cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GIOTTOS "Rocket Air" disaster blaster - ALERT

trossit
Enthusiast

I just received the GIOTTOS Rocket Air blaster that seems to have turned out to be a disaster.  I should have been suspicious when the packaging read "Please give your Rocket Air a squeeze or two before using it to ensure your Rocket delivers clean air."  After using this product to blow dust off my mirror and focusing screen I noticed it added more debris, small black dots about the size of the pin head onto the UNDERSIDE of my focusing screen.  I will have to remove the screen to clean.  This is unacceptable.  Thank God I did not try this blower on my sensor.  Still the thought of this widely accepted tool ADDING contaminates to the light-box is not a good one.  This will be going back to B&H.  Are they any blower tools that don't do this?  Someone online had a similar complaint while using this tool.

"The GIOTTOS Rocket blower is a recent addition to my arsenal of cleaning items along with HOYALUX Summit Pro lens cloth. In a recent sensor inspection, the Giottos Rocket blew a sticky gunk onto the 5D sensor and it came off only with wet cleaning. I don’t know if my blower has manufacturing debris from the factory which it really shouldn’t or perhaps it blew grease from the mirror assembly."

Giottos_AA1900_Rocket_Air_Blower_259157.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

" I should have been suspicious when the packaging read "Please give your Rocket Air a squeeze or two before using it to ensure your Rocket delivers clean air." "

Did you do this? Since it was a caveat, did you try blowing on a clean sheet of white paper first to see it was producing any debris?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Jr,

I did squeeze the blaster at least a dozen times prior to pointing it towards my mirror box.  Unless these blasters have some kind of elaborate filter within to stop small particles the potential is there for disaster.  The type of rubber they use on the bulb seems like it can be prone to flaking, especially over time and wear.  Its possible it moved around existing contaminants within the light box but not likely, this camera was super clean except for a few light colored dust particles on the outside of the focusing screen.  What I see now are dark black specks (about 5) on the focusing screen but on the underside where they cant be removed without taking the screen out.  I am going to try removing the focusing screen and use luke warm water to rinse off the particles and then blow dry it using a cool hair dryer. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Remember - specks on the focusing screen have no impact on image quality.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements