cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T100 Dummy Battery Question

TMac215
Contributor

Does anyone know if there is a battery door with a dummy battery notch that can be purchased to fit the Rebel T100? The T100 has no port for a cord to go through when using a dummy battery. The micro sensor has to be engaged in order for it to turn on with a dummy battery. I really don't want to jam something in there to keep it engaged. If I would've known this beforehand I would NOT have bought this camera. I see you can purchase battery doors with a notch from aftermarket sellers but not sure if other Canon Rebel cameras use the same battery door compartment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMac215
Contributor

I ordered a battery door cover from Canon Parts for $9.00 (Phone Number: 1-866-481 2569)

Part # CG2-5714-000 - Battery Cover Assy

I first removed the metal piece on the inside of the battery cover along with the latch that it holds in. Make sure NOT to lose the TINY screws. I then marked a line where I wanted to cut. I then used vice grips to stabilize the battery cover as I sawed the piece off. I replaced the latch & metal piece by screwing it back together. It is better to use tweezers to set into place the TINY screws because they are a pain to do with just your fingers. After that I used a belt sander to smooth the edges of the cut piece. I turned the belt sander on its side & placed the battery cover back into the vice grips & began to smooth the rough edges. Make sure to firmly hold the sander on its side with one hand & the hold tight the grips holding the battery door cover. I then place the dummy battery in put the modified Battery cover in & it worked like a charm. This took me about 20 minutes all together. I did this so I wouldn't have to damage the camera or the original batter door cover in case I ever wanted to sell it. I just let the original battery door cover hang down when it is on the tripod.1659292834268.jpg20220731_151047.jpg20220731_151512.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

normadel
Authority
Authority

Assuming you have a correct dummy battery, you could file a notch in the door for the cable to pass through.

Is your battery door easily removable, like with a little latch? If not, replacing it (if you have another that is EXACTLY the same) could be a big disassembly job. And you don't know if a door from another model camera will fit unless you have it in hand to compare.

Yea, its really is frustrating! I have people telling me to drill a hole in the side of the battery cover & I refuse to do that. So, what I will do is buy a battery door from the Canon parts department & cut it in half lengthwise. That way the little notch that engages the micro sensor will be on that half. Ill then put the "half door" in place to engage the sensor & just leave the regular battery door hang open.

That's better than drilling a small hole?

How isn't it? Its pretty self explanatory. Its better to use a $9 part to modify instead of possibly messing up a $500 camera by drilling a hole into the already attached part. Its a lot easier to use a separate battery door to modify & leaving the camera undamaged. Yea, I'd say that's better.

TMac215
Contributor

I ordered a battery door cover from Canon Parts for $9.00 (Phone Number: 1-866-481 2569)

Part # CG2-5714-000 - Battery Cover Assy

I first removed the metal piece on the inside of the battery cover along with the latch that it holds in. Make sure NOT to lose the TINY screws. I then marked a line where I wanted to cut. I then used vice grips to stabilize the battery cover as I sawed the piece off. I replaced the latch & metal piece by screwing it back together. It is better to use tweezers to set into place the TINY screws because they are a pain to do with just your fingers. After that I used a belt sander to smooth the edges of the cut piece. I turned the belt sander on its side & placed the battery cover back into the vice grips & began to smooth the rough edges. Make sure to firmly hold the sander on its side with one hand & the hold tight the grips holding the battery door cover. I then place the dummy battery in put the modified Battery cover in & it worked like a charm. This took me about 20 minutes all together. I did this so I wouldn't have to damage the camera or the original batter door cover in case I ever wanted to sell it. I just let the original battery door cover hang down when it is on the tripod.1659292834268.jpg20220731_151047.jpg20220731_151512.jpg

Announcements