cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

velbon DF-50 for canon rebel T6?

stargirl23
Contributor

hi,

i have an old velbon DF-50 tripod from around 1989-1990. it's currently in storage at my parents house and i live overseas so i don't have any other info about the tripod. i used to use it with my old pentax K1000 incollege. my question is if this old tripod is strong enough to use with my canon rebel T6 with the 75-300 kit lens?

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Almost any fully functional tripod would work well in shooting scenarios that are not demanding, such as shooting at a fixed bird feeder.  I do not think it will work as well as current tripods in panning shooting scenarios.

The tripod appears to be made of plastic with an integrated head that cannot be swapped out for a better one.  Alloy tripods are more robust and stable in the outdoor breezes and winds.  

Whether or not the tripod “will work” for you is entirely up to you and how you wish to use it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

stargirl23
Contributor

hi, thanks for your reply. i meant in terms of weight. i wasn't sure if it was a strong enough tripod or if the camera would go toppling over.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you do not go out and immediately buy a new tripod.  Use the Delbon.  It will teach a LOT about tripods.  What works well and what does not.  If you wait, you will be a better informed buyer.  

When and if you do buy a new tripod, I recommend staying away from the least costly tripods out there.  Avoid the tripods with the really tall center columns because they are top heavy and tend to topple over easily.  A quality tripod will set you back $150 to $250 USD.  I buy mine from B&H.

stargirl23
Contributor

hi, i actually bought a benro tripod a couple years ago that i use at home here in the netherlands. the velbon tripod is at my parents house and i haven't used it since i was in college 1988-1990. i will be visiting my parents in the US in a few weeks and was wanting to use the velbon when i visit there instead of bringing my new tripod so i could travel lighter.

Ah, I have a couple of Benro tripods, from travel to heavy duty.  Assuming that it is fully functional, rhe Delbon should work for stills just fine with standard lenses.  Action photography is a different story.  The light legs may not be up to the task.  I would not raise the center column very high, if at all.

hi, thanks again.

yes only still photography. mainly astro photography, the ISS, lightning, or lightning bugs with the standard 18-55mm kit lens (only because i don't have a better one for astro photoraphy). my benro is a travel tripod and works fine at home as well, it's the only other tripod i have. but if i don't have to travel with an extra tripod i'd rather not especially given the current travel situation with luggage getting lost, delayed, etc.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements