cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable release do not work on Canon 80D

npmp
Apprentice

my Canon 80D cannot take pictures with a C1-type shutter cable. When I click the remote shutter button, it does focus adjustments (like a half-press effect) but never releases the shutter. 

I've tried with multiple cables and to be sure it's less to do with the cable, I got a brand new one from Edelkrone at BH, yet no luck.

I've made a recording at https://youtube.com/shorts/aVofGN7vbnA?feature=share

Any idea how to fix this? Let me know. Thanks!

Camera: Canon 80D

Shutter Release Cable:
1.JPG

Remote shutter:
2.JPG

[Commercial links removed per forum policy and replaced with screenshots to facilitate discussion.]

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you sure camera is achieving focus? Set lens at MF and see what happens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for your response. The video I posted was made with manual focus. When in manual focus, it just removes some details from display but do not trigger shutter, just like doing a half press.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I just looked at the video again. It says ni card in camera. You probably have that protection set in the Menu. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

No, I've not enabled that protection, verified in the settings. Btw,  I could trigger from shutter button on camera.

Since the camera shutter button works it looks like all is pointing towards either a defective remote or some other setting on the remote that needs to be changed.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yea, looks like some settings got messed up. I did reset all settings though, yet the same behavior. I've used different cables, different remotes nothing helps. 

It did work a couple of weeks back when I kept reinserting cable but the same trick isn't helping anymore. 

I thought it must be something to do with the cable, so got brand new from Edelkrone but is not helping either. 

"It did work a couple of weeks back when I kept reinserting cable....."

This would seem to point to a bad jack that you had to keep reinserting the cable into. Was it on the Vello, or on the camera? 

Nebey
Apprentice

I had this or a similar problem shooting the fireworks the other night.  I am not sure if you resolved your issue, but mine was I had the mirror lockup selected. Turn that off, and it works better.  It solved my problem anyways.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART164644

amfoto1
Authority

Have you tried the Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch? That's the wired remote release specified for the 80D. B&H sells them for about $22.

There also is the Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote Control. This is a small and works up to around 15 feet away. I don't have an 80D, but other cameras that use this wireless have their sensor on the front. So I think this unit is primarily intended for "self-portraits".

A third possibility is the Canon TC-80N3, which is an intervalometer that can be used for time lapse, or for extra long exposures. It also can serve as a simple wired remote release. It's considerably more expensive than either of the above.

WHOOPS! Never mind. I just checked and he TC-80N3 is not compatible with the 80D. There are some similar 3rd party intervalometers such as the Vello Shutterboss II.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements