cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camera will not record to internal memory

Drjay51
Apprentice

Just opened brand new Vixia HF-R800, Completed setup proces setting language, date/ time. There was no option for selecting which memory to record video to (internal vs SD card). Camera will not record video, just see error message says No Memory Card.

Studied manual and instructions for selecting internal memory show menus not on this camera. Checked this forum and found nothing for selecting internal memory for this model.

Working my way though all menu's on screen there is not mention of any way to select internal memory. Manual states that camera should default to internal memory but it obviously is not doing that.

2 REPLIES 2

Stephen

Hello!

The VIXIA HF R800 doesn't include internal storage. The VIXIA HF R80 includes 16GB of internal storage, and the VIXIA HF R82 has 32GB of internal storage. To be able to record video, you will need an SD/SDHC/SDXC card. 

You can compare the three cameras at THIS link. 

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to reach out to support at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) weekdays from 9am to 9pm (ET). 

Some online descriptions of this camcorder indicate it has an internal memory. Carefully reading the Canon web site I see they do not state that. It would be advantageous for Canon toclearly state that the 800 does not have internal memory but the 80 and 82 do. They might sell a few more of those. But in the end it's my mistake for not double checking.

Suggestion for all Canon users:

When reading the Canon user manual be sure to increase your pdf viewer to more than 125%. They use a different font for the notes (parenthetical phrase) indicating only the R80 and R82 have internal memory. When I read the sentence I saw some scribbles and figured it was some odd characters in the file or some techy reference.  You can only see what it is when you blow it up bigtime. It would be much clearer if the sentence simply stated the R800 has no internal memory or only the R80/R82 have an internal memory. As always it's buyer beware.

Announcements