cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia M40 or R52 or R62 for shooting yourself writing in the style of Vi Hart?

krammark
Apprentice

I want to write in pencil on a piece of lined looseleaf paper (i.e., school paper) with a camcorder overhead filming me write.  I want it to be crystal clear and readable, what I'm writing.

Vi Hart posts similar videos on YouTube although she uses a sharpie.  She said that she uses a Vixia M40.  Since they're discontinued is an R52 or R62 sufficient for the same task?  Do either of these models supersede the M40?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

VideoGeek
Mentor

I don't know what the replacement for the Vixia M40 is but the R62 and R52 have smaller image sensors than the M40.  However to find a Canon camcorder the the same size image sensor as the M40 will cost about $450 more (Canon Vixia HF G20).  I did see one (M40) that claims to be new and in the box on Amazon for about the price (with shipping) as the R62 and R52.  The larger image size will be better in low-light situations.  However, if you have adequate lighting then either the R62 or R52 should work.  From what I could find the specs for those are nearly identical.  You can look at the specs and see which one is best for you.  I saw one of the videos you are talking about and noticed how the scene is well lit.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

VideoGeek
Mentor

I don't know what the replacement for the Vixia M40 is but the R62 and R52 have smaller image sensors than the M40.  However to find a Canon camcorder the the same size image sensor as the M40 will cost about $450 more (Canon Vixia HF G20).  I did see one (M40) that claims to be new and in the box on Amazon for about the price (with shipping) as the R62 and R52.  The larger image size will be better in low-light situations.  However, if you have adequate lighting then either the R62 or R52 should work.  From what I could find the specs for those are nearly identical.  You can look at the specs and see which one is best for you.  I saw one of the videos you are talking about and noticed how the scene is well lit.

Announcements