cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF11

paulgil
Apprentice

Looking to upgrade from my Vixia HF11 and was looking for some suggestions on newer model Vixias?

1 REPLY 1

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Depending upon what you want to shoot, I can recommend the Vixia HF G50 or even G60.  I no longer have my G50 as I've moved on to a cinema camera.

Things I didn't like about the G50:

1. No direct control over the ND filters.  The filters would kick in automatically, but only after exhausting other settings (e.g. aperture).  So at around f/5.6 or even f/8, the NDs would then kick in to control things if the scene was too bright.  Thus, not possible to set the ND manually to the highest setting so as to be able to shoot with a wider aperture.   The G60 allows one to directly control the ND.
  2. Screen was incredibly difficult to use in bright sunny conditions.  Thankfully there's an eyepiece that can be used instead.
  3. No idea of what focal length you're actually at.  I think this may also be the same as with the G60.  Perhaps not an issue for most, but I do like to have a rough idea of what focal length I'm at.

The G60 has a larger sensor that than G50, so will do better in lower-light conditions.  But will stilll not be stellar.

I paired the G50 with an external Azden stereo mic which worked quite well.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements