cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF G30 compatible memory cards

kwil
Apprentice

I have a Canon Vixia HF G30 video camera.  I have been using memory cards with the following specs:  SanDisk Image Mate 120 MB/s, SDXC I, U=1, Circle=10, 64GB.  I just tried using 3 cards with the following specs:  SanDisk Image Mate 140 MB/s, SDXC I, U=1, Circle=10, 64GB.  My camera won't even initialize the new cards.  Is it a problem with the camera or are the new cards incompatible with the G30 camera?  Thanks to anyone who can assist.  Also, is there somewhere that Canon has an up-to-date list of compatible cards for their cameras?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings See page 35 for a list of compatible cards/specifications.

hfg30-im3-n-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

shadowsports_0-1706410710947.png

Note,  SD cards with a capacity of 64MB or less cannot be used to record movies.  ***This is from the products manual

Go with something like this.  This is from B&H Proto

shadowsports_2-1706411249102.png

Only buy cards from reputable vendors,  Avoid Amazon, Walmart, eBay, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Ignore the 120 MB/s and 140 MB/s values.  Those are theoretical read speeds.  SanDisk unfortunately makes those values the most prominent on their cards.  What is important for video (as well as photos) is the sustained write speed.

Do your cards have a V-rating (e.g. V30)?  If so, that will mean sustained writes of 30 MB/s.

The User Manual does list Speed Classes 2 through 10 (see page 35).  10 would be a recommended value, so your cards should be a-ok.

Having said that, some older cameras, even though they do support SDXC cards, have trouble with sizes greater than 32 GB.  So since your camcorder is also an older model, perhaps it too will have issues.

The final thing to verify though... are you using full-sized SD cards or micro-size with adapters?  Only use full-sized cards.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements