cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia G40 HDMI output frame rate?

jlklein
Apprentice

Hi folks,

We've been using the Canon G40s for our church livestreams for the last few years and have recently upgraded our Blackmagic ATEM 1 M/E video mixer to the 4k/1080p-capable model (our previous ATEM only went to 1080i, which didn't jive with our PC inputs, so we were using 720p). With the new video mixer I had wanted to set everything up for 1080p29.97 as that is the highest common video setting in our system (limited by our Teradek Vidiu streaming encoder and Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder that each max out at 1080p29.97) and also take advantage of the smaller OBS-recorded video file sizes and lower bandwidth usage. 

The problem is I cannot see any way to set the HDMI output on the Canon G40's to anything other than 59.94. I've tested the output with the menu frame rate set for both 29.97 and 59.94 and the HDMI output never changes. This goes along with the fact that the manual only mentions these frame rate settings in the sections on internal recording, but the menu option didn't specify that limitation so I figured I'd try it.

So, IS there any way to adjust the frame rate of the HDMI output on the camera or am I stuck with 59.94?

Thanks,
Jeff

-------------------------------------
Jeff Klein, DMC-E
Technical Director
Faith Baptist Church
Glen Burnie, Maryland
(Website / Twitter)
http://www.faithbc.net / @FBC_TechTeam
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jeff-klein/32/852/6ba
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Correct, unfortunately, that the G40 manual lacks that info.  I own the Vixia HF G50, and in its manual, there's a nice table for "Video Output Configuration".   In looking at the HD portion, the video output frame rate varies.

For example, for recording 1920 x 1080 with a frame rate of 29.97P, and a scan mode setting of P, and output resolution also of 1920 x 1080, the frame rate will match the recording frame rate (29.97P in this example).

But when the scan mode is PsF in the above example, the output frame rate will be 59.94i.

On the G50, there are these settings:

Menu | Display Setup | HDMI Scan Mode

Menu | Display Setup | HDMI Max Resolution

For the G40, those settings don't exist.  Thus, it's probably the case where the output signal is always 59.94i.  Would have been nice if the manual at least had that in the technical specs section.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Correct, unfortunately, that the G40 manual lacks that info.  I own the Vixia HF G50, and in its manual, there's a nice table for "Video Output Configuration".   In looking at the HD portion, the video output frame rate varies.

For example, for recording 1920 x 1080 with a frame rate of 29.97P, and a scan mode setting of P, and output resolution also of 1920 x 1080, the frame rate will match the recording frame rate (29.97P in this example).

But when the scan mode is PsF in the above example, the output frame rate will be 59.94i.

On the G50, there are these settings:

Menu | Display Setup | HDMI Scan Mode

Menu | Display Setup | HDMI Max Resolution

For the G40, those settings don't exist.  Thus, it's probably the case where the output signal is always 59.94i.  Would have been nice if the manual at least had that in the technical specs section.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks, Ricky. I swapped out the BMD UltraStudio Mini Recorder with the next step-up UltraStudio Mini HD, which handles the full 1080p59.94 for our Recording/Backup Streaming iMac, so I have an interim solution while I figure out what to do about the Vidiu streaming box. I ordered a BMD UpDownCross that does frame rate conversion, so I'm going to try putting that between the video mixer output and Vidiu streaming encoder, which should work. It sure would have been nice if the G40 HDMI output followed the recording format frame rate settings, but oh well.

Thanks,
Jeff
-------------------------------------
Jeff Klein, DMC-E
Technical Director
Faith Baptist Church
Glen Burnie, Maryland
(Website / Twitter)
http://www.faithbc.net / @FBC_TechTeam
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jeff-klein/32/852/6ba
Announcements