cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help: DV cable wont fit my camcorder

safiy
Apprentice

hello everyone, i'm having trouble finding the correct dv/firewire cable to connect to my canon optura xi. not looking too much into it, i purchased a ieee1394 6 pin to 4 pin male to male to use for my camera. i thought it doesnt matter what cable it is, as long as if the output on the camera says "dv" & the cable fits a camcorder, i figured it will connect with whatever dv cable i get thats 4 pin. unfortunately, that isnt the case with my camera. i realized after this issue that the dv output in my camera is different than a regular dv cable. ive searched everywhere for a dv cable that connects to my camera but ive had no luck, the only solution i was able to find on the internet is that the output is a "mini firewire" output, but when i searched that up to buy one i didnt find one anywhere, only the regular firewire cables came up. can anyone give me a link or where to purchase this special mini firewire cable?image0.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I'm pretty sure the original cable would have been a FireWire 400 cable with the full size connector on one end and the mini style connector on the other (the mini end would plug into your cam).

Having said that, do you have a capture device or older computer that has a FireWire 400 input?   Back when I had an older MacPro with FireWire input, I was able to ingest footage using such a cable.

Recently though, I found some other miniDV tapes.  I had the miniDV cable connected to Apple's Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter, then a Thuderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter to finally connect to my iMac Pro.  But, this setup refused to work so I gave up.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

yes i have a capture device with a firewire 400 input. do u have a link to the cable u mentioned? i cant find it anywhere.

I can't link to it here - Canon will excise it - but just go to amazon and search for "firewire 400 mini DV cable"

It is about the third or fouth cable down the list.

unknown.pngunknown (1).pngthese are my results, are any of these the correct?

If you're sure you can work with FireWire 400, then the #2 cable should be it.

#1, #3, #4, #7 and #8 are FireWire 800.

#5 is USB

#6 is a FireWire 400 to 800 Adapter.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements