cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join MTS files? Mini X release still chops video into 2GB chunks.

helpware
Apprentice

Hi 

is there a Canon utility that will join up the fragmented 2GB .MTS videos?

So much wasted time trying to join up frgments of video all with different overlaps.

Thanks for your help. 

Rob

PS. I've actually just purchased my first Sony handicam because they don't have fragmented video like Canon FAT32 do.

What a relief. So fast to work with.

PSS. Disappointed that the new Canon Mini X I just purchased still cuts video into 2GB files. Why???
If I format the card outside the camera will it help?

8 REPLIES 8

helpware
Apprentice

Sorry one more thing I don't get. 

If I lay out my 2GB MTS fragments in Adobe Premier sometimes there is no overlay (several frames missing) so I can't join them up by hand. But a program like Povtube can join together 2GB fragments perfectly. Mystery??

Anyway still hoping Canon have a solution for this. I love my Canon camera's but as I deal with more and more HD video this I need an easy fast solution.  All I want is MTS001+MTS002--> MTS00x -- Surely that should be fast to do.

Janekong
Enthusiast
I'm unsure where you'll load the MTS filed for editing. If you want to combine several mts clips into an intact mts, i have no idea which utility can do this. But if no need to keep the original format, you can try some third party converters like handbrake, it's free.

Thanks for the reply Jane.
Going from MTS to another format requires hours of recompiling (eg. Joining 2 or more 2GB .MTS files to .mpg).

Good news I found a utility "tsMuxeR" http://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR 

which can join .MTS files to .M2TS in seconds instead of hours.

But the question remains -- Why are current release Canon cameras still fragmenting video recordings into 2GB files and 
what utilities do Canon provide or recommend to join files. 

They are infact AVCHD file with various mts clips inside i guess. AVCHD is widely used and can be read by some NLEs like FCP X natively. Can't seem to find an AVCHD ultilities from Canon so far. 

VideoGeek
Mentor

I have a Canon Vixia HF G20 and it has the same 2GB limitation on file size.  When I am ready to edit I copy the entire folder from the SD card to the computer.  I use Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 to edit , I import the files and have found that I only need to put one clip (I use the first one) of the several into the timeline and it shows the entire event that was recorded.  In other words it seems to "join" the files together so that I don't have to drag each individual clip into the timeline.  The only time I have to add clips is when I have paused or stopped recording for various scenes.  All that said, which may of no use at all, I'm not sure if it is the editing software or copying the entire folder that helps. 

daveclark966
Contributor
i use Avdshare Video Converter to Join many MTS clips into one MTS file and convert the joined MTS to MP4, WMV, MOV, AVI, FLV, MKV, ASF, etc.

greatlucklucky
Apprentice

Another method is to use iDealshare VideoGo to join avchd files into one with the following easy steps: Step 1: Drag and drop the avchd files to iDealshare VideoGo. Step 2: Click Merge button. Step 3 click Convert button.

Yanqiao
Contributor
I have ever utilized Joyoshare Video Joiner to merge MTS files, which is recommended by my colleague. It is easy to use and supports various formats like MTS, M4V, M4A, TS, MPEG, AGG, MKV, and more. Importantly, this program causes no quality loss.
Announcements