cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HFG20 not saving exposure

abagsoundboard
Contributor

Hey Canon brain trust.  I've been using Canon's for years.  I have an HF G20 we use for streaming with our church service.  For some reason I can save my settings to an SD card. However, it never stores the setting for exposure so every time we power up the exposure resets.   I would love some help to know why I can't save this setting.  HELP!

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

From looking at the user manual (page 86), I don't think it will save exposure settings (aperture, shutter, gain).

I had thought that the camcorder would have remembered the last-used exposure settings.  Was the battery removed for a long period of time between shoots?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

I had thought that the camcorder would have remembered the last-used exposure settings. 

It depends on how you are 'setting exposure'..

On my HF-G40, if you manually set the aperture, shutter speed and gain parameters in 'Manual' Rec.program mode, those settings are preserved when you power the camcorder off and on again. Likewise, in AE Shutter Priority (Tv) and Aperture Priority (Av) program modes, the respective shutter speed and aperture settings are retained. 

However, if you use the 'Exposure Compensation' function (available in the three AE modes - P, Tv , Av) to manually adjust exposure, using the touch screen feature or by adjusting the 'exposure compensation value', that 'manual' setting is not preserved when the camcorder is powered off and on - it defaults back to 'Auto'.when powered on.   

I haven’t tried it, but I would think the same applies when saving settings to an SD card.

Edit: The same also applies when switching between the different Recording Program modes.

So does that answer abagsoundboard's question, given that the options for setting exposure on the HF-G20 are the same as those on the HF-G40 ?

abagsoundboard
Contributor

Thanks all. So it looks like because we manually adjust our exposure and settings that's why it's not saving.  Definitly misleading if it's giving you the option to save but then it doesn't save "ALL" the settings you currently have setup. 

Announcements