cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX10 & G40: Cannot connect to an wifi access point

dennydeutscher
Contributor

Hi, 

on my G40 I was always wondering why the camera wasn't connecting to my wifi network. Ever thought it was a bugged firmware or so. 

Today I got my GX10 and the problem is exactly the same. conencting directly to the camera works... but if I want to connect the camera to various wifi networks (tried many kinds of names and security settings) nothings gonna happen. It seems it's not even try to connect (connection profile is set properly).

Is there a magic button that I have to push to finally connect the camera? Or is canon maintaining this bug since the G40?

Thanks, Denny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

From the the GX10 Manual:

GX10 Network Functions.PNG

Yes, I agree that is rather limiting, but it's good that you appear to have found a workaround. I just thought others might be interested in how you did it. 

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Inapickle
Rising Star

That’s one of reasons why I’ve never used the Browser Remote function on my HF-G40, except to test that it works. For remote control I prefer to use the IR remote or a LANC remote, the downside of course being that I can’t monitor whats on the screen unless I’m up close.

Isn’t the ‘Infrastructure’ mode for FTP transfer specifically?

Sorry I cant help you more than that. Have you tried reaching out to Canon technical support ?

the LANC remote needs line of sight... and normally have no exposure controls (or focus pulling with DP-AF is great with touch AF). I use it while the camera is on a gimbal in a live event to support the gimbal operator. But I think I have a suitable solution: 

I'll get me a small AP-Client (TL-WR902AC) and connect it to the camera's wifi. The TL-WR902AC is connected via Ethernet to my local network. I just have to mach the IP Adresses and the it should work.

btw... I'm afraid that the only thing canon support can do is referring to the user manual (as you can see in this thread) 🤷‍♂️. So I skip this step. 

greetings, Denny

Inapickle
Rising Star
I thought the problem was that you couldn’t connect to your existing wi-fi network, so how would adding another AP client help ?

dennydeutscher
Contributor
the AP- Client connect to the camera‘s wifi (it acts as wifi client) and forward the traffic to the network via ethernet.

It‘s a bridge if you will

@dennydeutscher wrote:
the AP- Client connect to the camera‘s wifi (it acts as wifi client) and forward the traffic to the network via ethernet.

It‘s a bridge if you will

Oh I see now what you are thinking of as a workaround. Make an ad-hoc wiresless connection between the 'Camera Access Point' and the 'AP Client' and 'forward the traffic' to your network over an ethernet connection, with the hope that will allow you to access the Browser Remote utility from any device on your network. So have you got it to work ? 

@Inapickle wrote:

Oh I see now what you are thinking of as a workaround. Make an ad-hoc wiresless connection between the 'Camera Access Point' and the 'AP Client' and 'forward the traffic' to your network over an ethernet connection, with the hope that will allow you to access the Browser Remote utility from any device on your network. 

Exactly!

@Inapickle wrote:

So have you got it to work ? 

Yes, it works. Only thing I recommend is to set a manual IP address in the camera's wifi profile matching to your network's subnet. 

Inapickle
Rising Star
I don’t see how that constitutes a bridge. If you were connecting the AP client to the camcorder by ethernet cable, yes, but the GX10 doesn’t have an ethernet port. Anyhow you obviously know what you are doing. Hope it works.

Inapickle
Rising Star

Thats good. Could you maybe post a short video demonstrating how you did it ? I think others might find that very useful.

Actually I only realized after reading the user manual that the GX10 lacks some of the Wi-Fi features that are available in Playback mode on the HF-G40, including Media Server and Movie Upload. The GX10 only has FTP Transfer. Still I guess you can configure an FTP server app to transfer clips to an iOS or Android device  - the Pixela 'Movie Upload' app was only available for iOS devices. 

@Inapickle wrote:

Could you maybe post a short video demonstrating how you did it ? I think others might find that very useful.

I guess not ?

Still I think your original question has been answered. There is no 'magic button' or bug. It's simply that you were mistakenly trying to use an 'Infrastructure' access point connection to use the Remote Browser utility, instead of a 'Camera Access Point' connection which forms a direct ad-hoc wireless link between the device hosting the browser and the access point in the camcorder.

There are no references anywhere about that the remote control must only be used via ad hoc connection (which would be stupid by design anyway)! So yes, it was my fault to expect a quite normal behavior from that device. 

My problem is solved when canon rework their manual to clarify for what the infrastructure mode is for and (and if not for remote control) that this mode must not be used for remote control. 

I mean: even you’re not 100 percent sure about it... so how could you excepting that it's not a bug?

Announcements