cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame rate of MTS file

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Canon Vixia HF M500.  I have always used the AVCHD setting while recording so that I can create high quality DVDs as well as compress in post production to upload to the internet.  I have taken a two year break from video production, but now am working on it again.  I prefer to record in 24p because of the film look, and have always done this and had no issues.  I remember clearly seeing the different numbers of 30p and 24p in the properties window of the video files I had recorded two years back while I was learning about frame rate.  The project that I am working on I have also recorded in 24p and AVCHD.  The camera display is clearly showing 24p.  But when I upload the .mts files my computer says it is 29.97fps and I am experiencing a dropframe as I export from a 24p timeline.  I have tested it on the computer I used to use for video editing and it also tells me 29.97fps.  So I pulled out my old hard drive and looked at the files I had no trouble with 2 years ago, and again it says 29.97fps.  I am now quite frustrated and confused.  Is there an issue with recording AVCHD in 24p that I am unaware of and may have not experienced in the past due to less proficient software?  I would really like this video to be 24p, but if it is not possible, I will just record in .mp4 from now on as my videos are intended for YouTube.

2 REPLIES 2

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert
Hi Yang_Tegap, In the USA as well as many other countries the Canon VIXIA HF series camcorders offer a selectable shooting mode which uses true 24 Frame progressive shooting to give your video a more cinematic look. These frames of video are recorded by the camcorder and then output via the HDMI, USB 2.0 or composite terminals by adding a "2:3 pull-down" to convert the 24 Frames in 30 Frames to be compatible with Televisions and monitors. This is the same industry standard system used to show "Hollywood" movies on Television. Most consumer software packages that support editing AVCHD video are capable of editing this video in the same way as any other high definition video. However some high end customers have requested the ability to import the video into professional video editing suites and applying a 2:3 pulldown to the footage which allows the individual 24 Frames to be extracted. Since the Canon VIXIA HF series are consumer class camcorders they do not include a feature to record 24 Frame video directly. By not including this feature, frame extraction is somewhat more difficult, requiring that the editor manually identify the 2:3 pulldown, then the editing program can extract the 24 Frame video. This process varies from one editing program to the other and may not be available on all programs. Please check with your editing software provider to see if this capability is supported.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My head hurts! I am curious what software you are working in?

Announcements