cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Transfer Problem

david_lexicon
Contributor

1 hour ago I purchased from a Canon Outlet in my country the camcorder Legria R506. I am having problem with transferring files from my camcorder using Transfer Utility by Pixela Ver. 2.5.0. See attached photos of errors.

I can transfer files from my Canon XA10 and Legria HF R17. If I transfer files through Windows Explorer and eliminate Transfer Utility software, is it ok?

Please help.

Error1.jpgError2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, relax. You really don't give much information to help you with your problem. By a quick look into Canon's specs for the R506 I can immediately see that it writes either AVCHD or MP4 container video files. So, yes, you can directly access these video files on your SDcard without the need for a transfer program. You can try, it's easy! Microsoft's media player is crap, so in case you encounter playback problems, get a decent player, such as the free VLC. It handles AVCHD and MP4 with their included H.264 video streams well. Something Microsoft has problems with for no reason.

The transfer program is for those that don't know how to navigate especially the AVCHD directory structure and which don't want to directly deal with segmented video files when shooting long clips that would result in files larger than approximately 2GB.

Personally, I would stay away from 64GB cards as there are many problem with them due to their different file system. I know of at least one action cam company that inoffically instructs its dealers to better go for 32GB, as these have the normal FAT32 file system.

On another note, class 10 really doesn't mean anything beyond useless theoretical performance. For instance, SanDisk boasts on the package of its Extreme 32GB microSD 80MB/s. My real world measurement says 7MB/s writing speed. Companies boast their fictitious read performance, but in your camera write performance is crucial. My suggestion is to not go for the cheap junk that is sold on eb*y and everywhere else, too much fake goods or refurbished junk sold there. Get a decent quality card from a brand manufacturer and buy it through a proven retailer.

At least for the HF G30 I know from my personal experience that Canon does a really good job on its SD card subsystem. This copes with really all the class 10 junk out there really well, even at high bitrates such as 35Mbits for 1080p50.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

david_lexicon
Contributor

I think I know what is the problem. My Mini SD Card is 16Gb Class 4. The manual of the camcorder insists of cards with Class 6 and preferably Class 10.

I will purchase a 64Gb Class 10 SD Card and see what happens.

PS. This forum is the most lazy forum from the experts I ever saw. With such a prestigious company, then its forums are quite obnoxious.

Well, relax. You really don't give much information to help you with your problem. By a quick look into Canon's specs for the R506 I can immediately see that it writes either AVCHD or MP4 container video files. So, yes, you can directly access these video files on your SDcard without the need for a transfer program. You can try, it's easy! Microsoft's media player is crap, so in case you encounter playback problems, get a decent player, such as the free VLC. It handles AVCHD and MP4 with their included H.264 video streams well. Something Microsoft has problems with for no reason.

The transfer program is for those that don't know how to navigate especially the AVCHD directory structure and which don't want to directly deal with segmented video files when shooting long clips that would result in files larger than approximately 2GB.

Personally, I would stay away from 64GB cards as there are many problem with them due to their different file system. I know of at least one action cam company that inoffically instructs its dealers to better go for 32GB, as these have the normal FAT32 file system.

On another note, class 10 really doesn't mean anything beyond useless theoretical performance. For instance, SanDisk boasts on the package of its Extreme 32GB microSD 80MB/s. My real world measurement says 7MB/s writing speed. Companies boast their fictitious read performance, but in your camera write performance is crucial. My suggestion is to not go for the cheap junk that is sold on eb*y and everywhere else, too much fake goods or refurbished junk sold there. Get a decent quality card from a brand manufacturer and buy it through a proven retailer.

At least for the HF G30 I know from my personal experience that Canon does a really good job on its SD card subsystem. This copes with really all the class 10 junk out there really well, even at high bitrates such as 35Mbits for 1080p50.

Thanks. I was desperate.

Crista
Whiz

Hi david_lexicon!

Welcome to the Canon Forum, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please visit http://www.canon.com and select your country or region for your support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Announcements