cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Mic issues:

externalj
Contributor
After searching for months on what kind of mini jack to plug into my Vixia HF R800 camcorder (TRRS 3.5mm), and after turning the volume way way down to eliminate the buzz sound, I now have an issue with only hearing sound out of one speaker (with earphones or through speakers on my laptop). I am using a TRRS 3.5mm mini-jack as it is the only thing that seems to fit in my mic port because any other jack doesn't seem to want to insert into the camcorder
Does anyone have any ides as to why I can't hear what I record through my external mic in both speakers? I've searched the net for anything on this, and the user manual is very limited in issues dealing with on external mic.

I am using a battery powered external mic. My internal mic works fine and I can hear out of both speakers with that. Thank you for any help you can give me on this.
3 REPLIES 3

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

The audio is only producing on one side because the camera is recording the external microphone as a mono signal while the clip is expecting a stereo signal. Typically the easiest solution to this is to duplicate the audio to both left and right tracks when you are editing your clips in your preferred video editing software.

Hey Mark,

Is it supposed to take a TRS 3.5mm mini-jack? I saw a YT video where it says that it should because it's a straight in signal for a microphone. The TRRS is for smartpones or laptops that use the same port for microphone and headphones. Trouble is, it that I can't seem to insert the TRS into the port, and it only goes in so far. I'm afraid if I put pressure on it I might damage the port.

externalj
Contributor

From externalj:

I replying to my own post because I finally found my answer. Canon does not specify much in their Vixia HF R800 manual about the audio port, and for that reason we are left to search and search until we find answers. I recommend they be more detailed about their products. I love this camera because it is easy to use for the price and has great quality. That being said I only have an issue so far with the audio.

As it turns out, it does not (or should not) take a TRRS minijack because those are meant for devices such as laptops and cell phones where the same port is used for both in and out going signals. What is needed is a TRS mini jack, and now to my fearful dilemma. I was afraid to give that TRS minijack the extra push into the port for fear of damaging the port. But this morning I gave up in frustration and pushed it in until it finally snapped into place. I was glad! Now I can use a proper minijack meant for the camera. So my advice is this; If it doesn't seem to fit you may have to push it really hard to get it to go in. You can decide for yourself in case you were having this problem as well. And my thanks to Mark35mmF2 for his response.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements