cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia hf r80 wi fi connection does not work. PERIOD

Confused99999
Contributor

I just got taken to the cleaners thinking that the hf r80 would actually work in controlling it from a cell phone. But I tried everything to get it to connect but no such luck. I guess that is why canon tossed this really expensive piece of doodoo out of their line up and are not making them anymore, nor the r82, good riddance. Do I sound bitter? (I paid  $550 for it at b&h; 12/8/2021 they assured me wifi would work; good luck in me getting my $'s back) 

Other than the wifi thing the hf r800 works fine except you have to keep running from the camera to get in front of it if you are doing sit down in front of camera pontificating or get your significant other to run it (good luck on that)

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Something isn't right.  The first sentence in your post states HF R80.  The last states HF R800 

B&H doesn't offer the R80 - its discontinued.  The R800 is $399 and has been for months.

B&H has excellent customer service.  I'd start there if the camera is not meeting your needs.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sorry I wasn't clear... I have an hf r800, it does not have wifi. I wanted a camcorder with wi fi. So when, on the 6th of December I saw the hf r80 for sale at b&h I called and got a sales person, who assured me that the hf r80 with hi fi would work. I ordered it on that day. It was the last one b&h had. I received it and lo and behold the wi fi wouldn't work with camera connect or any other app. So, I hope this clarifies my original... It did in fact cost & 555 including tax.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Later in the posting, it's mentioned it's actually the HF R800 (so the HF R80 in the title is most likely a typo).   There seems to be a home streaming kit at B&H for $550. Thus, assuming that is what you purcashed?

Which type of smart phone are you trying to use? iOS or Android?  There's a How-To page on PIXELA's website (the company that does the iOS & Android app to control this camcorder).  Perhaps that will have more details on what to try?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Sorry I wasn't clear... I have an hf r800, it does not have wifi. I wanted a camcorder with wi fi. So when, on the 6th of December I saw the hf r80 for sale at b&h I called and got a sales person, who assured me that the hf r80 with hi fi would work. I ordered it on that day. It was the last one b&h had. I received it and lo and behold the wi fi wouldn't work with camera connect or any other app. So, I hope this clarifies my original... It did in fact cost & 555 including tax

I'm really not following... you mention again both an HF R80 and HF R800 in your last reply.  Which did you speak to the B&H sales rep about?  And which do you have?

The User Manual (which covers three models - HF R80, HF R82 and HF R800), mentions that WiFi is only available in the 80 and 82 (not the 800).

As you just purchased this within this past week, do reach out to B&H for a return.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Don't have an HF-R80/82 myself (my son has an HF-R800), but this issue connecting to the Camera Connect app has come up before:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camcorders/HF-R80-Wifi-Remote-Control-Anyone-get-this-to-work/td-...

Have you tried the CameraAccess Plus app instead ?

Thanks... I tried the CameraAccess Plus but google says that I cannot have it on my UMX U693CL cell phone so I could not try it. I tried it on my other cell (off replaced by UMX) but can't dnld. Regardless, b&h knew!!! the problem and would not tell me, I think that they just wanted a sale and they got it. I would never go to them again. I called the "expert advice/sales line" and got an assurance that the wifi would absolutely work. Didn't work!!! Don't trust b&h, they stole the return shipping cost I have to pay... I will never buy from them and I personally advice anyone to never patronize them... Do I sound bitter? You bet! I just hope I will get a refund, I already shipped it back...

That's a shame.

Actually, checking the HF-R80/82/800 User Manual, the Camera Connect app is only for copying recordings over wi-fi to an iOS/Android device. CameraAccess Plus is the app needed for wireless remote control, which, if I understand correctly (from your first post) is the wi-fi functionality that you wanted and were expecting. 

HF-R80.PNG

I have an canon hf r800! I wanted an hf r80 because b&h "experts" said I can use wifi ( which I really wanted) so I ordered the hf r80 at their exhorbitant cost!!! It DID NOT WORK, as I said before. They are closed Friday eve through Sat eve. I only used their web site return for rma. Regardless, b&h knew!!! the problem and would not tell me, I think that they just wanted a sale and they got it. I would never go to them again. I called the "expert advice/sales line" and got an assurance that the wifi would absolutely work. Didn't work!!! Don't trust b&h, they stole the return shipping cost I have to pay... I will never buy from them and I personally advice anyone to never patronize them... Do I sound bitter? You bet! I just hope I will get a refund, I already shipped it back...

Announcements