cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HF R800 Pinkish Purple Tint

MasjidTawheed
Apprentice

We purchased the Canon Vixia HF R800 in 2019. It was working just fine until a few days back when we noticed every video we attempted to take had a pinkish purple tint. We tried to troubleshoot and performed the following actions- checked the camcorder settings, restarted it , and disconnected all the connections to the camcorder- but nothing seemed to resolve the issue. Could you please assist us in fixing this problem? Thank you.

B3467DFE-6DB1-4493-90EF-DADF643CB866.jpeg

40C7D97B-0DAB-4774-A5A1-96332E6DB934.jpeg

2 REPLIES 2

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

This certainly looks like either the sensor or screen is suffering a malfunction, does the footage show the same hue when played back on a tv or your computer? If not then the LCD screen may be failing, but if the footage maintains the hue on other devices then the sensor is likely starting to fail. Since you've already reset the camera we know this isn't a settings issue, so repair is likely the solution.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Leviathan
Apprentice

I have a HF400 that started doing the same thing - eventually the purple turned to green and was more distorted. Just bought a 800 to replace it.

I also suspect the sensor is going in the 400.

One thing I did notice is that if my recording mode was set to the highest quality AVC codec (the 400 came with that weird AVCHD codec), I would always get the purple screen, but if I switched to the highest quality MP4 codec, the screen would be normal.  Also, any lower quality version of either codec seemed to work.

I'm at the point now where I can record in the highest MP4 codec, but after about 2-3 minutes, the screen will start to flicker and eventually go green/lines through the screen. 

Now, here is the odd part, I can get the good clear screen for a few minutes ONLY if I am holding/moving the camcorder - as soon as I sit it down in a stationary position, it immediately starts turning green.

Obviously the sensor is on the way out, but it appears using higher quality video settings and maybe filming with a stationary camcorder accelerates the sensors decline - I dunno???

Now, what I figured out is that if I set the recording option to the highest AVC codec setting (the 400 had that silly AVC Sony codec), as soon as I turned on the camcorder

Announcements