cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HF R62

Caren
Apprentice

I cannot seem to get my videos downloaded to my macbook pro (retina). I have OSX Yosemitie and My compuiter recognizes the camcorder via USB. I downloaded the Transfer Utility software for mac and it seems to have downloaded something, but my computer wouldn't open it. I get a message that my computer doesn't have an application to open it with. It downloaded as a long string of numbers.  I updated Quicktime- just in case it might help. My videos are recorded in AVCHD.

I also tried to convert my AVCHD videos to mp4 hoping this might help, but the camcorder gives me a message to "check my SD card"- nothing wrong with my SD card- it came as a free promotion from Best Buy with the camcorder (sandisk 16GB). 

Can anybody help??? Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Caren!

Thanks for posting.

AVCHD files may not be playable in the application you are using.  I recommend that you import the files into a different application, such as iMovie or Final Cut Pro.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

Thanks, Mike. Thank you very much for your reply. I finally figured that out. I have imovie, but I don't know how to use it well. Do you know if there is a way to use it just as a viewer? When I move my mouse over the "clips" window, parts of my video move around. lol- as you cn see I need to figure out how to use it. 

I have heard good things about Final Cut Pro. Do you know what the differences are? Thanks so much.

Caren

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Caren!

Thanks for posting.

AVCHD files may not be playable in the application you are using.  I recommend that you import the files into a different application, such as iMovie or Final Cut Pro.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, Mike. Thank you very much for your reply. I finally figured that out. I have imovie, but I don't know how to use it well. Do you know if there is a way to use it just as a viewer? When I move my mouse over the "clips" window, parts of my video move around. lol- as you cn see I need to figure out how to use it. 

I have heard good things about Final Cut Pro. Do you know what the differences are? Thanks so much.

Caren

In iMovie you should be able to view the entire clip if you drag it into the timeline.  To help with that you might want to look at the iMovie Help page.  If you do a YouTube search for iMovie tutorials you should find many out there for beginners.  As far as the difference between iMovie and Final Cut Pro there is a world of difference.  iMovie is aimed at the consumer market and Final Cut Pro is marketed for professionals.  That's not to say you have to be a professional video editor to use it.  It's just more complex to learn than iMovie.

If you are looking for a video converter you could try MPEG Streamclip.  It is a free download from squared5.com.  I use it and have it installed on a late 2011 MacBook Pro.

Thanks Videogeek. I imported into imovie and into my timeline and it plays very nicely. I also endedup making a movie with my kids for Father's Day for my husband. By using it I learned how to use it and a lot of cool tricks. I am thinking I don't need a video converter now. I am taking video in mp4 now and it seems to be wrking fine for my uses. Great feedback from everyone- I really appreciate the help. 

Another question. I am having trouble sending my video via email. I clicked on share and it downloaded to my "Theater". I had to save to my computer and then send as an attachment in an email. Im sure there is an easier way but the share button doesn't seem to work for me no matter how many times I try. Thanks.

How large is the file?  Most email services have a size limit for attachments.  Rather than attempting to send it via email as an attachment you could use a cloud service such as DropBox and share a link via email.  

I'm trying to import in iMovie 10.1 on a Mac running Yosemite. Just have AVCHD movies. Camera appears in the import media window but none of the clips appear and if I select the "Import All" button, the import window disappears and the camera doesn't appear to be doing anything. No progress dial in iMovie to indicate if it's importing or not.

Janekong
Enthusiast

Hi, have anyone tried Handbrake? will it work with Canon MXF well? I've used streamclip for mp4 conversion, but was looking for a better app for MXF:)

I just tried a small clip with Handbrake and it worked without a problem.  I converted the file into an .mp4 and had no problem with playback and the quality was good.

Announcements