cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon VIXIA HF R500 - 'Task in Progress'

cannoncam
Apprentice

Each time the camera is turned on, the camera comes on as normal then after a couple of seconds I get the following message 'Task in Progress.  Do not disconnect power source.'  The camera will turn on after this message and I am unable to restart the camera.  Regardless of how long the particular battery is left on the camera (for it to finish its task), its the same scenario each time.  In order for me to be able to get the camera to turn on I do have to disconnect the battery and reattach, otherwise the camera is completely nonresponsive.

NOTE: The other battery pack (which also came with the camera) works perfectly fine without this concern.

Thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4

brobert314
Apprentice

This has happened to me as well yesterday.  Vixia HF R50

Hello brobert314,

Try cleaning the battery contacts (on the battery especially) and the camcorder with a clean, soft microfiber cloth. Dirty contacts could cause an issue like this. Do not use any kind of solution when trying this. I would suggest that if the issue continues, try using a separate battery and/or memory card. You can clean the contacts on the memory card as well with the microfiber cloth as well.

Thank you John_Q,  that's unlikely the case.  I did interrupt the processing of the SD card at startup and the camcorder warned not to interrupt.  I did not notice that, as I very seldom use the camcorder.  The program running in the camcorder probably has a status flag in non-volatile memory that needs resetting likely and the developers have not provided a way out of this problem.  I have not yet contacted CANON support.

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello cannoncam,

Based on the fact that the camcorder works fine with a different battery, I would say it seems likely that it's an issue with the one battery. Try cleaning the battery contacts (on the battery especially) and the camcorder with a clean, soft microfiber cloth. Dirty contacts could cause an issue like this. Do not use any kind of solution when trying this. 

Announcements