cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon HF M50/52/500 AutoFocus Speed Question/Issue

hollywoodfrodo
Apprentice

I bought the Canon HF M500 to replace my 8+ year old Canon Mini-DV camcorder.  I use my camera mostly to do Android Phone App Reviews for my YouTube Channel.  I set my camera at the widest angle and have it far enough away from the phone to show the entire phone.  When I need to show a closer up view of the phone to clearly show a specific aspect of the app I'm reviewing I lift the phone closer to the camera lens.

On my old Canon camcorder, when I would lift my phone closer to the camera lens the camera would IMMEDIATELY re-focus so that the app stayed in focus.  With my new HF M500, it seems to take forever to re-focus.  I can't tell if it's re-focusing slowly or maybe it's just taking longer to realize it needs to re-focus.  Anyway, I would like for it to re-focus immediately the same way my 8 year old camcorder would.  I'm hoping someone can help me changing some settings or shooting program that would cause it to refocus faster.  

Any help would be much appreciate.

Eric

YouTube Channel for examples: http://www.youtube.com/user/hollywoodfrodo

1 REPLY 1

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Eric,

It sounds like the Instant Auto Focus (AF) mode is what you need.

This setting isn't available in the AUTO mode, but you may access it when in the Manual or Cinema mode.

To Make the change, press "HOME", then choose "Other Settings".  From there, go to [AF Mode] and choose [I.AF] (Instant AF).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements