cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance with Canon ZR850...cassettes not playing

Mbouv31
Apprentice

Using a Canon ZR850, trying to convert minidv cassettes to my computer (MP4 format). When I insert a cassette, the screen makes a loud beep, says REMOVE THE CASSETTE.  A small red arrow flashes in the top right corner above the tape time, and a red cassette with line through it flashes in the lower left corner.  I re-inserted the cassette numerous times...Same result.  Why won't the cassettes even play?  

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When were the cassettes last played? If they've been sitting for years, that could lead to issues.   Could also be the equipment if it's been sitting for a long time without use.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Mbouv31
Apprentice

yes to both questions.  years.  

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What Ricky said is all true.  A old, or weak battery might cause this as well..  Do all tapes refuse to play or just one?  If you have an external power supply, I'd try with it.  Less than $20 on Amazon, but keep in mind that it won't solve a hardware problem or issue with a individual cassette.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have 7 tapes and none seems to play.  I've been trying with the camcorder plugged into a power source with the power cord, since the batteries have been dead for many years. I tried with battery in and camcorder plugged in, still same response.  I did watch one tape about about a week ago and it seemed to work, now it doesn't.  everything else on the camcorder seems to be working, like setting date and time etc. Any other suggestions? or do I need to take it into a camera repair shop to have it looked at?  Hoping to not have to spend a lot on the camcorder just to transfer the tapes since I haven't had a need for it, nor do I anticipate using it much as we just use our iPhones at this point. 

Announcements