cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon C70 Remote Handgrip Help! GR-V1! Cameo Grip, Sony also tested.

aclark
Contributor

Hi all,

I'm close to getting the GR-V1 grip to work with Canon C70 and wanted to share some findings and get some advice!

I pre-ordered the C70 with the intent of using on my shoulder on occasion and having on-grip controls. It would be a massive flaw if this camera were unable to do so, as that means it simply can't compete as a documentary camera.

I'd love anyone's assistance helping me find a cable/adapter to work from the 3.5mm Canon C handgrips to the 2.5mm remote terminal. I'm fairly certain this will work based on the below findings.

FS5 and FS7 Grips
Connected via LANC cable, both of these handles are recognized by the camera and the joystick functions with up/down/left/right and select. The record and other buttons do not work, which is expected because they are mapped differently. But it shows that the remote link's capable of receiving multiple signals.

C100/C300 Grips
Do not work, because audio cables don't provide either enough power or consistent signal. (Or maybe I just can't plug them in all the way)

Cameo Gear Grip
This thing is ugly and buttons are a bit flimsy but it works via hirose to lanc cable. I've tested this as well. Iris and button mapping work. These are somewhat hard to find as they are entering EOL.

GR-V1
This, of course is the natural choice to use. I've purchased it and am looking to connect it to the C70. Any help in selecting a cable (or cable+adapter) to make this happen?!

Attached are a few photos

The Canon 3.5mm grip connection on the GR-V1 (C-series grip). The C70 only has 2.5mm remote in.

the canon grip connection.png

This cameo gear grip works but it's really not intuitive and no longer supported by manufacturer.
(Yes, excuse the tripod ball.)
cameo grip working.png

Lastly here are some of the cables I have tried. I was advised to use 3.5mm to 2.5mm audio adapters but they either do not fir or do not work with the GR-V1

3.5mm to 2.5mm audio cables that did not work.png

Any thoughts on where to find a cable or combination of cables to get the GR-V1 grip working on c70? Thanks all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's been a while, but I solved it!!!

The Canon C70 can be used with an assignable handgrip. It turns out it was all in the menu settings.

First update the handle to the latest firmware.

Then, re-connect the handle and under "assignable buttons" tab in the MENU, toggle to the number 3, and you should see a sub-menu titled "REMOTE A". That's your handle. You'll be able to assign those 4 buttons there.

IT WORKS with these grips so far:
Cameogear Cameogrip
FS5 / FS7 Grips (which feel really nice!)

DOES NOT YET WORK WITH
C100/C300/GR-V1 Grips. But someone let me know!

Hope this helps the one other person in the world trying to use the C70 on their shoulder.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Hey! Curious if you were able to figure anything out with your FS7 grip?

Hi There. How were you able to dial exposure with the FS5 grip on the C70? Did the apture wheel on the grip work for you? I can only get the record button and button 4 to work. 

In your post you say"-I was able to toggle AF, dial exposure, and run rec with the FS5 grip,"

Thank you. 

THANK YOU!!!

Can't believe there aren't millions of c70 shooters trying to work this out.

So, looking at the handle to buy, do you think any lanc trigger handle would work? Like those wooden ones from smallrig for example.

Ideally want iris and start stop, am I stuck with the flimsy cameo?

I have a C100... could raid for spare parts if needs be

Heyas I have a smallrig handle with lanc that works. I think most should work without modification.

Thank you for the response!

ok so looks like Sony handles or the cameo. I guess you didn’t manage with the GRv1?

Thanks for sharing all this info. Very helpful. Firstly, I cannot believe there is not more on this on the internet, or even more/easier solutions to this with the C70. Even from Canon. So in the spirit of sharing...

I just have just bought the CameoGrip solution and bottom line is it works for me. I'll tell you for why. So Iris, yes no worries, record start/stop, and a couple of assignable buttons which all LANC interface with the C70 fine.

Now there was one issue when I received it - assigning autofocus only resulted in a pulse so was effectively useless. (and true, no moveable focus point control. Yet.) But when I contacted CameoGear about this they were right on top of it, immediately.

Jesse created a new custom version of the software so I could assign a continuous signal whilst pressed to a button, and hey presto. Auto focus = works like a charm.

OK, the unit is on the slightly flimsily built side and I'm no fan of the '70's chrome look, but this thing works, and the company behind it will respond to requests. Assigning the focus point control might not be impossible. But as I see it it'd replace the iris. So still tricky.

The LANC for C200 involves a (vital) 4'th connection not by the 3-part pin out of the 3.5 jack but via a 'socket-connection' circumfering the very base of the 3.5 jack.
Hence a std. 3.5 -> 2.5 adapter will not work for full compatibility w. Canon GR-V1 Grip.

JoHall
Apprentice

Hey there, yes it works for some things, enough for me on the gimbal. 

Fs7 grip - Stop/Start works, joystick works to move the focus box around, one custom button works (button 4) which I set to ‘function’ so can scroll through WB, ISO, Aperture, Angle and use joystick to set if needed. 

Nothing else works (no other buttons can be assigned) and the traditional aperture toggle wheel shuts down the camera if you use it (also doesn’t work anyway for aperture) so taped over it. Apart from that works fine for stop/start, moving focus box and one assignable button. 

Not sure if the fs5 grip works any better, don’t have one to try. 

The cameogrip works with a few more assignable buttons 2 or 3 from memory and the aperture can be controlled by the joystick. But cannot control/move the focus box around. 

Same experience, but with the FS5 handle, did not experience any accidental shutdowns. That may be specific to settings/FS7 grip. Accepting this as solution, ty all.

Hi,

Does the iris dial work on the FS5 grip to change exposure?

great work too mate!

Announcements