cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high speed sync

Poyer
Apprentice

I am using an EOS 60D with a 320EX Speedlite.  Just getting started with high speed sync.  I set Custom Function 1-7 to "Auto" and External Flash Shutter Sync to "Hi-speed".  So now when the shutter speed goes above 1/250, high speed sync is active.  Here's the question.  When HSS is activated as above and the shutter speed is at 1/250 or slower, does the flash function default to normal first curtain behavior?

Wayne Poyer

5 REPLIES 5

hsfpix
Apprentice

Yes. 

This was confirmed to me at a Canon seminar a few years back. Albeit with regard to 580EXII and 1DMk4, but I am sure the answer is the same.

Roy.

Thanks

It's that way on all EOS cameras.

WahoGT
Enthusiast
Not EXACTLY, but mostly yes.

The only issue is that if you are AT SYNC SPEED, it defaults to HSS for some reason, when it should do that at one notch above sync speed. I have no idea why this happens, but it does.

@WahoGT wrote:
Not EXACTLY, but mostly yes.

The only issue is that if you are AT SYNC SPEED, it defaults to HSS for some reason, when it should do that at one notch above sync speed. I have no idea why this happens, but it does.

That’s not standard for all Canon, just the 5D series. It’s a glitch that was well known, for Mark I and II, I think they fixed it on III?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements