cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 600 EX II-RT inconsistent firing in manual

Annette1
Contributor

I use my Speedlite in manual mode, on camera, for wedding reception candids. I noticed that I will get some great exposures and then about 5 or 6 shots later the image is blown out with no changes to any camera or flash settings and shot from similar distances. Any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you sure the flash is in manual mode?  How about your camera? Is it in manual mode as well?  I'm wondering if say auto ISO is kicking in on occasion?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I am using all manual settings both on my flash and camera. ISO is in manual as well.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@Annette1 wrote:

I use my Speedlite in manual mode, on camera, for wedding reception candids. I noticed that I will get some great exposures and then about 5 or 6 shots later the image is blown out with no changes to any camera or flash settings and shot from similar distances. Any suggestions?

Can you post some examples? 

Are you using bounce flash or direct flash?

Are you using some kind of a modifier?

Mike Sowsun

I'm using direct flash, no modifier. I will post some samples.

Annette1
Contributor

flashIMG_0341.jpgflashIMG_0342.jpg

No changes in settings. Top image shot first.

The distances look different. What is the focal length used in each photo? Can you provide the EXIF data for each photo? 

Mike Sowsun

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 2.24.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-18 at 2.25.13 PM.png

The distances are a bit different but if that were the issue then the image with the people closer to the camera should be more overexposed with the one with more distance under exposed.
Announcements