cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 430EX II contact problem

whitetsagan
Apprentice

Hi guys,

I'm new here and needed some answers because I cant find anything Im looking for. I've had an 1200D and 430EX II for 3 years now and they were working quite fine until today; the flash stopped firing. The flash is working by itself and test fire is ok. The problem seems to be in the contacts, which I dont know if its the camera or the flash. If I switch to full auto mode on camera, the flash responds and sets to full auto mode on itself too. But it just wont fire. But it fires if I move the flash from the hotshoe a little backwards, which becomes wiggly and I cant lock it. 

What can I do? Help 😞

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There are five contacts on the bottom of the flash. Push them down one at a time with your finer and be sure they move freely and are all the same height.

Look for any dirrt or corrosion on the contact surface on the camera.

A third possibilty would be that there is a problem with the flash foot.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Speedlites/Canon-60d-does-not-recognize-430ex-II-flash-Any-suggest...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Update.

The flash is working fine. It is firing but I tried it on a fujifilm camera. Does it mean the flash is okay? There is no ETTL and stuff, so I'm kind of confused. I'm trying to test it on a canon camera. The camera hot shoe is not wobbly, btw.

It is so weird, the AF assist beam is not working but the flash recognizes the mode dial switch between full auto and manual mode. 

The only way to be sure all flash features are functioning properly is to test it on a Canon camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi,

I just tried the flash on a 650D and everything is working fine... expect the AF beam. I really don't know why these are happening why of a sudden. Tried resetting everything on the camera and custom fn on the flash. No beam at all.

So, it concludes the camera is the one that has problem. Any leads?

I have no problem with changing the both custom functions and manual controls of the flash. But no fire.

I really appreciate your time. Thanks.

Double check camera settings and custom function settings to ensure focus assist beam isn’t turned off. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I double checked everything. Reset everything. No changes in the settings. Factory defaults.

Sounds like you need to send it for service them. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements