cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX 50 HS with Speedlite 430 EX II

jaspereira
Apprentice

Hi!

I'm trying to use a Speedlite 430 EX II with my SX 50 HS, but the Assist Beam of the flash doesn't seem to work.

The camera's Assist Beam works correctly, the flash fires, but the Speedlite's Assist Beam doesn't.

Is it normal?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

What do you mean by assist beam, the focus assist?  Or are you trying to wirelessly trigger the 430 with your camera?

If the former, the AF assist beam is very faint (it's a red cross hatch).  Best way to check is to try focusing on something in a dark room.  It won't work in AI Servo, and some dSLRs need so set some custom settings to get it to work.  I really don't know much about the SX 50 HS and if it's compatable.

If you're trying to use Canon's optical wireless system, I don't think that the SX 50 HS has it.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I'm thinking it's likely not activating because that camera has it's own AF assist beam.  The camera will only need one.  Most DSLRs don't have an AF assist beam and rely on the flash to provide it.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

See my response to this question that you also posted over in the "Power Shot" Forum.

Regards,

Ted

Announcements