cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New EOS R7 and in search of the best flash for both macro and portrait photos

LoveWeims
Contributor

I have been reading the community input on flash units as well as researching what is out there about current solutions for flash photo situations.  I enjoy macro (bugs, flowers, interesting patterns made by Nature in and on anything), people and pet, and wildlife photography and have never been a big flash user (even during my Kodachrome days....).   Internet research points to the Canon EL10 (has its own rechargeable batteries) and is directional and can be mounted and used wirelessly.  I am not sure I understand the impact of the footnote in the Users Manual for the EOS 7 about this unit, and I am also a bit concerned about weight when mounted on the camera.  Advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That speedlites should work fine unless you're looking for a Macro Ring Lite. To use the speedlite off camera you'll need the ST-E10 wireless transmitter.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

The EL-1 has a rechargeable battery. The EL-10 DOES NOT have a rechargeable battery.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

LoveWeims
Contributor

Ah!  So i thought the four lithium ion batteries with the EL 10 were rechargeable

No it uses 4 AA batteries.

-Demetrius

Yep.  Just checked that.  Mixed it up with another unit i looked at.  Now…about the other questions…

That speedlites should work fine unless you're looking for a Macro Ring Lite. To use the speedlite off camera you'll need the ST-E10 wireless transmitter.

-Demetrius

click here to view the gallery
Announcements