cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Wirelessly Fire a Canon 430EX-II Speedlite With Canon 5D MkIII?

sirikwamutu
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS 5D MkIII, which, has no built-in flash like both my EOS700D & 650D DSLRs. I have two Canon 430EX-II Speedlites which I was able to fire off wirelessly with the 700D. Not tried it with the 650D but I imagine it will.

Question is, how can I fire both Speedlites being mounted on two tripods, or light stands with the Canon 5D MkIII? I have just bought a Yonghuo YN-3N-RTII as I was told that the 5D does not have a built-in flash to trigger the Speedlites.
So, with just that YN-3N-RTII mounted on the 5D, can I fire off the two Speedlites wirelessly, or do I need some more ancillary equipment under the Speedlites to accept the 2.4GHz radio signal from the YN-3N-RTII to wirelessly trigger off both Canon 430EX-II Speedlites ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just bought a Canon ST-E2. Got a good deal. Hopefully, now, i can use my Canon EOS 5D MkIII to fire through wireless optical, indoors, and possibly outdoors, if feasible, any of the three Canon 430EX-II Speedlites I have, singly, as a slave, or triply, as slaves.

Thank you for all your assistance, Mike.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The Yongnuo YN-E3-RT II is radio wireless only and the 430EX II is optical wireless so they are not compatible.

Mike Sowsun

Thanks for that Mike.

However, your reply baffles  me a tad. If as you say the Yongnuo YN-E3-RTII is incompatible because it is purely a radio wireless signal whereas the Canon 430EX-II is purely an optical wireless device, how is it that using the EOS700D pop-up built-in flash head, I was able to wirelessly test fire the Canon 430EX-II, as I was given to understand that for an optical connection they both have to be in 'line-0f-sight', and in this 'Test Scenario, my 430EX-II was not set up for 'line-of-sight' mode?

The 700D also uses optical wireless just like the 430EX II.

They do not have to be "line of sight" indoors as the light bounces off all the reflective surfaces and can even operate in separate rooms if the conditions are right. 

In order to use your 430EX II with your 5D Mk III you will need a master in the hotshoe. Canon and Yongnuo make the ST-E2 optical master that will work. 

Radio wireless is better so I would sell the 430EX II and buy a 430EX-RT so you can use it with the ST-E3-RT

Mike Sowsun

Thank you Mike for that definitive reply.

Now, things become a bit more clear. So, where I was jumping for joy thinking that I had fired the Canon 430EX-II Speedlite flash wirelessly via a radio-triggered  signal from the Canon EOS 700D's pop-up flash, in fact it was an optical trigger and not a radio trigger as you have explained.

In anticipation of maybe running into these kinds of issues regarding my Canon EOS 5D MkIII, luckily I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and bought a Canon 430-EX-III-RT and the Yongnuo YN-3N-RTII, which I hope will do the job with a radio trigger rather than optical trigger.

Thanks to you, I will also look into the Canon ST-E2 if I decide to retain the 430EX-II Speedlites as I have 3 of them.

Just bought a Canon ST-E2. Got a good deal. Hopefully, now, i can use my Canon EOS 5D MkIII to fire through wireless optical, indoors, and possibly outdoors, if feasible, any of the three Canon 430EX-II Speedlites I have, singly, as a slave, or triply, as slaves.

Thank you for all your assistance, Mike.

Announcements