cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you turn off the flash on a 600ex and still use it at master control radio send unit?

ComicDom1
Contributor

I have multiple 600 EX-RT flashes.  I currently do not have a ST-E3-RT.  I thought I read somewhere that you could turn off the flash in one of the the 600EX's and still have it control the others.  I would like to be able do this using a 600EX in my hot shoe with the Flash turned off in Radio mode controlling the other 600 EX flashes.   

Is this possible to do?  If so what are the specific menus steps or what is the specific manual page I need to go to in order to find out how to turn off the flash on the Master and still have it work as the send unit for the other 600's in radio mode.

Thanks,

Jason

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Your camera's menu has a menu option for the flash (the specific wording depends on the camera model.)

Go into that menu and tell it to "disable" the flash.  This will let the flash do everything else it does (e.g. the focus-assist beam will work, the radio will work, etc. ... but it wont fire the strobe when you take pictures.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

Tim thanks, I will try that but I will looking for the on flash controls.  While I was waiting I did find my answers.  I did find you can turn off the Flash on Master on Page 55 in the Manual and it will still work and control the slaves by Radio.

I also found today that if you use the Depth of Field button to Fire off the Modeling lights that are built in, they will fire all the modeling lights. 

I just picked up a 5D a few weeks ago go with my 1D Mark IV.  Although I have had my 600Exs for quite a long time now,  I am just slowing down long enough where I am taking time to really learn them.

I know there were a few limitations with my Canon 1D Mark IV body but there are not supposed to be any with the 5D Mark III body.  I am hoping that I get to the point where working with the 600EX-RTs become second nature to me.

Jason

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Your camera's menu has a menu option for the flash (the specific wording depends on the camera model.)

Go into that menu and tell it to "disable" the flash.  This will let the flash do everything else it does (e.g. the focus-assist beam will work, the radio will work, etc. ... but it wont fire the strobe when you take pictures.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim thanks, I will try that but I will looking for the on flash controls.  While I was waiting I did find my answers.  I did find you can turn off the Flash on Master on Page 55 in the Manual and it will still work and control the slaves by Radio.

I also found today that if you use the Depth of Field button to Fire off the Modeling lights that are built in, they will fire all the modeling lights. 

I just picked up a 5D a few weeks ago go with my 1D Mark IV.  Although I have had my 600Exs for quite a long time now,  I am just slowing down long enough where I am taking time to really learn them.

I know there were a few limitations with my Canon 1D Mark IV body but there are not supposed to be any with the 5D Mark III body.  I am hoping that I get to the point where working with the 600EX-RTs become second nature to me.

Jason

Announcements