cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash for r7

ajm133
Contributor

Hi

Upgrading form a t3i to r7.  Although a few dollars more, i am considering buying an EL-100 to avoid any compatibility issues.

My only concern is the power of the flash and i was curious if you had any thoughts in this area.  I currently have a Yongnuo YN560 that has served me extremely well (pretty much always use bounce flash), and the EL-100 seems like it might be a significant step-down in power.  The AD-E1 is out of stock everywhere, and of course this huge Yongnuo is awkward on the r7.  I wouldn't be as concerned power wise with the 430, but the price is pretty high for my needs.

I am not a professional photographer, just casual use.  

Thanks

AJM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The adapter won't help unless the speedlite is weather sealed. Your old Yongnuo speedlite is simply incompatible. The EL-100 will fit your needs for a new speedlite. If you want a speedlite for $100 or less you'll need to buy used then. You have no other alternatives other than 3rd Party speedlites. Some may or may NOT be compatible.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What is your budget for a speedlite. Only weather sealed speedlites require the adapter. The normal 5 pins are still there for legacy speedlites. 

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

Ideally $100 or less, would consider as much as $150 if i had to buy the EL-100

My Yongnuo didn't work with an r7.  After a couple of photos where it might or might not flash, it would then show an error (70 i think) and i then had to turn it off to use it.  i researched and saw that the adapter should help it work.  The flash I have is at least a couple of years old, so not sure if i bought a new one if it perhaps has newer firmware or was built with the new Canon mount in mind.

The adapter won't help unless the speedlite is weather sealed. Your old Yongnuo speedlite is simply incompatible. The EL-100 will fit your needs for a new speedlite. If you want a speedlite for $100 or less you'll need to buy used then. You have no other alternatives other than 3rd Party speedlites. Some may or may NOT be compatible.

-Demetrius

Announcements