cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 600 EX-RT “Link Drop” Trouble Shooting

Nick55
Enthusiast

Has anyone tried a Westcott Transmitter in conjunction with the Canon 600 EX-RT for a possible solution for the dreaded “Link Drop”?

What is “Link Drop”? When your old reliable 600’s would stay “Linked” in Radio Transmission. Not drop 3-5 minutes later.

4 REPLIES 4

gviper
Contributor

same problem here. They are virtually useless off camera. Canon can't or doesn't want to fix the problem.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I need to do some testing, but I experienced drops in my backyard this past weekend.  Camera with ST-E3-RT was only 4 feet away.  All still use a unique ID (not 0000).  I had four 600 EX RT (1st gen) connected and had to power down/up several times.

Later today I want to try the same thing in my basement where I have never experienced anything like this.

I do wonder if it's the transmitter that is going bad?

This was the first time I used flashes in that particular spot on my property.  The only possible interference is that our buried electrical line runs under the spot I was shooting.  Though this seems a stretch to account for the issues.

If I get issues in the basement, that will lead to me believe the transmitter may be the issue.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I have 2 Transmitters and also used a 600 as “Master” 

Doesn’t matter “Link Drop” still grabs us by the …..

I am done dealing with this, like I said I went with GODOX  (2 AD200Pros and a 860 3C Speedlight with an Xpro trigger.) and I never have a problem. It is just ashamed that Canon lets this go on without solution. I really like the quality of Canon and the 600s and I will continue to be a Canon supporter, but if you can't use them then you are forced to find other solutions.

Announcements