cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get Nissin MF18 Macro ring flash to fire on EOS 90D

melwilliams
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have a Canon 90D and have attached a Nissin MF18 macro ring flash. When a take a photo I cannot get the flash to fire. In menu > flash control, flash is enabled, but when I go into external flash settings, it says "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off." The flash is compatible with this camera as I made sure of that before I bought it. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

25 REPLIES 25

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

I believe the external flash settings is only for Canon's flashes.  Non-Canon flashes you'll have to adjust via the flash menu system on the MF18.  The only other thing is to make sure you have the canon version of the MF18, vs the Nikon or Sony.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Ok, do you know how I can get it to work then? Manufacturers instructions aren’t very helpful. I do have the canon version. 

Also not all of Canon's speedlites are compatible with the in camera flash menu (430EX, 550EX and 580EX). Some only offer partial compatibility to set rear curtain sync, flash exposure compensation and AF Assist Beam Firing (220EX, 380EX and 420EX). All other Canon speedlites released in an after 2008 are compatible with the speedlite control menu. Cameras released from 2007 onward support the speedlite control menu. Newer speedlites such as the (270EX, 270EX II, 320EX, 430EX III/ III-RT, EL-100 & 90EX). Won't fire an AF Assist Beam on a pre-2007 camera. These speedlites use Intermittent Flashes (Disco Flash) for AF Assist. Or on the 320EX an LED AF Assist Beam (in live view). Which is NOT supported on these cameras.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Your macro ring lite flash IS NOT COMPATIBLE with your camera. Check with the manufacturer if there is a firmware update available for your macro ring lite. Also non-Canon speedlites or ring lites won't fire in live view shooting. You must use the viewfinder. Canon speedlites and ring lites don't have this limitation. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I have been assured by the camera store that it is, and the manufacturer lists it as a compatible camera. I have the version that is for canon. 

Are you using live view shooting. If you are the macro ring lite won't fire. These 3rd party speedlites and macro ring lites can have firmware updates needed.

-Demetrius

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Most third party Canon ETTL flash units will be compatible with the Canon in-camera flash menu. Since you are sure you have the Canon ETTL version of this Nissan flash, I can think of only two possibilities of why it is not working properly:

1) the flash is not seated properly in the hotshoe. 

2) the flash is defective 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowson doesn't Canon not allow 3rd party Speedlites and macro ring lites from firing in live view mode. I was thinking that the OP was using live view. But they haven't confirmed this yet.

-Demetrius

3rd party ETTL flashes WILL work in LiveView. This is because both Canon and 3rd party ETTL flash units automatically disable “LiveView Silent Shooting” when placed in the hotshoe.

It is only 3rd party Manual flash units that won’t work in LiveView. If you disable LiveView Silent shooting in the camera menu, you WILL be able to use a 3rd party Manual flash. Unfortunately the “Rebel” series cameras don’t have that option the in the LiveView menu. 

Mike Sowsun
Announcements