cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get Nissin MF18 Macro ring flash to fire on EOS 90D

melwilliams
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have a Canon 90D and have attached a Nissin MF18 macro ring flash. When a take a photo I cannot get the flash to fire. In menu > flash control, flash is enabled, but when I go into external flash settings, it says "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off." The flash is compatible with this camera as I made sure of that before I bought it. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

25 REPLIES 25

With the macro ring lite removed from the hot shoe will the built in flash fire. Also test the macro ring lite with the camera in full automatic (A+ Mode) to see if it will fire. A setting could be preventing you from firing the flash. Full Auto overrides all Custom Functions. With this we can see if a setting is set incorrectly.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

First and foremost, does the camera menu screens recognize that there is a flash connected?  If not, then power on the flash before you power on the camera.

I do not know if the flash is E-TTL compatible, or not.  That is up to the manufacturer to resolve.  The comments regarding not using Live View are correct.  You should try using the viewfinder, exit Live View mode, when it comes time to fire the shutter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've tried these suggestions, still not firing. It is E-TTL compatible.

Will it fire in manual flash mode. Also check to see if flash firing can be disabled on the macro flash itself.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Just to confirm you have the correct flash, does the flash have 4 contact pins or 5 contact pins?

D2544ED0-73BA-49A4-852A-5BEB26B76C03.jpegC746DACC-EBB6-41B2-932B-19998B26A12F.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

DGM_UK
Apprentice

Hello. 

I have the same equipment that you have (Canon EOS 90D (APS-C sensor) DSLR and Nissin Digital MF18 Ringflash for Canon).

I don't experience any problems with this pairing or getting it to fire (there maybe some features that don't function as a genuine Canon flash might, although I have not needed anything more than the Nissin's features and functions). I have used it in: TTL mode, Auto mode, Manual and Fine Macro modes.

If I can help with confirmation of my camera settings I'd be happy to help. Although you may have got your problem solved by now.

Good luck!

Announcements