cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600 EX-RT radio problems

bruceplotkin
Apprentice

I've been having problems while shooting weddings with my 600EX-RT flashes not firing as slaves (radio mode) consistently. I've talked with CPS and we ran through all the possible issues including channel changing but other than trying to upgrade to the newer flash version we can't seem to come up with a solution. The master-slave firing works fine in my office but when at an event the slaves might start off firing but then stop working, even as I move closer to them with the master. Again I've tested out looking for the strongest channel and changing them accordingly. My other photographer, ,using the Chinese versions, has no problems. This has happened  multiple times/. Wondering if anyone else experiences this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi bruceplotkin,

I agree with the information in RS-EOS's reply. Since this isn't happening in your office, but is happening at events that does look like it is related to interference. Typically if it was an issue with the flashes or the transmitter themselves we would expect them to have the same issue everywhere you use the equipment. Setting the flashes and transmitter to the strongest channel helps in most cases. Sometimes if there are enough wifi devices or other radio transmission devices you can still see issues like this. 

One thing to check would be to set the flashes for infrared optical transmission and check to see if the same thing happens. As long as the red jewel for the transmitter flash and the red jewels on the receiver flashes have direct line of sight they should fire. That type of connection isn't effected by wifi and radio interference, so it is a good way to narrow down if the issue is with the flashes or with interference in the environment. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

PamM
Apprentice

I also have been having issues with my Canon flashes dropping their link to the transmitter, this started about 5 years ago and has got progressively worse such that my last shoot the link dropped out hundreds of times and I wasted 3 hours to get 3 shots. Originally I found this with my MK III but has got worse since I purchased my R5 3 years ago. I rang Canon support Australia and they just said bundle up my transmitter, flashed and Camera and post them all interstate and they would look at them. This was an unacceptable solution,  I then rang Sun Studios here in Melbourne where I purchased the camera and the person (Rob) who answered the phone knew exactly the problem and indicated that the ‘interference’ was due close proximity to , mobile phone and 5G. This makes sense as this issue is sporadic, location dependent and unpredictable. His solution was to set the Channel of my transmitter and all the flashes to ‘Auto” and ensure that I reset the ID of each of the above to a PIN that I would remember and would be unique. Apparently’Auto’ enables the units to optimise themselves to dynamically choose a Chennel that has minimal interference.  I can report that THIS WORKS!!!! I did a shoot today and did not have one link drop out at the previous location where it dropped out after very shot. This problem was causing me such grief I had been professionally embarrassed so many times for ‘wasting’ clients precious time and losing what would have been winning shots, and consequently this has cost my business.  I cannot believe that Canon did not know of this problem and its solution and did not let registered camera owners know of this issue and the very easy solution.  So good luck and especially a big thank you to Rob from Sun Studios!!!

BillWayToday
Contributor

Yes it's RF "interference".  2.4GHz is massively over-used by millions of IoT devices - including our beloved speedlites.  You should see what my spectrum analyzer shows!  Optical is a solution, but with limitations of course.  In studio I've converted to continuous light (which has some nice advantages anyhow).  

Apparently other brands of trigger systems work better.  See other posts here.  

Announcements