cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

430EXlll RT Inconsistent

DLB
Apprentice
I have 430EXlll RT and it's inconsistent in M. Im finding the only time it works more often is when the RT sensor is pointing in the direction of the camera. If it's radio it should not matter but it seems to. Frustrating for outdoor shooting.
8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What trigger are you using (e.g. ST-E3-RT)?  How far away is the flash from the camera?  Did you try using different channels (perhaps there is too much interference for the current channel)?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

DLB
Apprentice
Not using a trigger. I have the 80D that has built in RT. I'm just a few feet away. I will try a different channel and see how that goes. Thanks for the response

@DLB wrote:
Not using a trigger. I have the 80D that has built in RT. I'm just a few feet away. I will try a different channel and see how that goes. Thanks for the response

No, that is incorrect.  

The 80D does not have a built-in radio transmitter to control an RT Speedlite.  No Canon DSLRs have one.  The 80D uses an optical transmission system to control remote flash units wirelessly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

DLB
Apprentice
Ok after you taught me that I hoped it would be followed up with help for my issue I posted about

@DLB wrote:
Ok after you taught me that I hoped it would be followed up with help for my issue I posted about

Your only issue is understanding how your gear works.  

There is nothing wrong with your gear. You even said so yourself, when you said you have to point the strobe toward the camera.  You have to do this because optical transmission requires a line of sight to transmit the optical control signals.

011FC1C6-0BFD-416C-8279-095B89382271.jpeg

This is from page 244 of the 80D User Manual.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@DLB wrote:

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

- John Heywood

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I can highly recommend the ST-E3-RT unit.  I use it with several 600-EX RTs and that unit would also work with your 430EX III and any additional units you may add over time (up to 15!).

One of the main reasons I went with the 600 series at the time was to avoid the whole line-of-sight setups.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

DLB
Apprentice
Thanks so much. Just needed someone to confirm what I was guessing at. Thanks again and be safe out here
Announcements