cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 WiFi never connects to computer

jsdeal
Apprentice

Read manual, updated firmware, installed Canon software on two different PCs (Windows 7 x64)

Part rant, part request for solution.

When I attempt to connect the SX280 to a computer it searches and finds the Access Point, then when I select a device (computer) it spins for 2-3 minuted and FAILS.  If the laptop is connected wirelessly the camera will not even see the device. The camera FAILS to see my SOHO WiFi printer.

The SX280 will connect and transfer pictures to my Android phone

The SX280 FAILS to see Win7x64 laptop on the network if it is wireless.

The SX280 FAILS to connect to either Win7x64 computer or the Internet Gateway. 

Connecting to the Web services is a mystery. The message "Connect to the computer and setup Web services with the software" is a meaningless message.  What software?

Very disappointed in the lack of WiFi usefulness on this device. 

Over priced for what you get.

3 REPLIES 3

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Jsdeal,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty you've encountered with the connection of your PowerShot SX280 HS to your computer.

I recommend contacting our technical support department, as shown below:

Hours:Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays
Phone:1-800-OK-CANON (toll free)
1-800-652-2666
TDD:1-866-251-3752 (toll free)
Email:carecenter@cits.canon.com
For additional support options: www.usa.canon.com/support
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

wrnoof
Contributor
I am sorry I did not see this post earlier. The "Connect to the computer . . . ." message refers to the Canon Camera Window software that comes with the installation CD. There is a web services option on the main page of that program. The connection to the computer must be USB for the set up. You must go there to set up Internet Gateway access.

As for seeing a Win7 machine, I have a similar problem. I wonder if they are related. My SX280 in wireless mode finds the wifi access point and the Win7 Pro (64 bit) computer wired to the access point, but the connection to the computer is automatically dropped after about 2 or 3 seconds. I suspect this is a Win7 problem because the camera wifi connects flawlessly to my iPad mini and to the Internet Gateway. Go figure.

FYI, regarding my inability to keep a connection to my desktop computer open, I stumbled across the solution. To recall, the computer is wired to the access point (router) and the SX280 is connecting to the Win7 Pro (64 bit) computer via wifi and the router. My camera wifi connections would all drop after about 3 or three seconds.

The solution lies in the fact that I have Norton Security Suite installed on the computer. Earlier I had tried connecting with the Norton firewall disabled and had no success. However, I enabled Network Security Map in Norton and added the camera as a device on the Local Area Connection network with the security setting as Full Trust. Their is also a feature called Trust Control that can be accessed from the drop down list on the Network Security Map screen. I added the camera as a device with Full Trust there, also. The camera MAC or IP address is required to add it as a device in both cases.

I am not sure either adding the camera to Trust Control or setting the security level to Full Trust instead of Shared were necessary, but that was my first try and it worked. When time allows I will try it without Trust Control and a higher level of security ("Shared") to see what happens.

What I think is interesting is that this worked when disabling the firewall entirely did not. Go figure.

Announcements