cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageBrowser EX or Digital Photo Professional

RossK
Enthusiast

Hi,
I've just taken my first photos with a Canon 6D and downloaded the software to edit the pictures before printing.
Could someone tell me please if there will be any difference in the results I get by using ImageBrowser EX's edit function compared to Digital Photo Professional's Tool Palette.
Being a beginner, I'm only going to start by adjusting brightness, tone, saturation, contrast - so do both typs of software do this equally well?

I presume cropping (ImageBrowser) as opposed to trimming (DPP) produces the same results if i put 7 and 5 in the custom size for 7in x 5in prints.

The problem when I tried DPP was that whenever I did change something on the image like brightness and then I clicked Save As, while the new brighter version appeared in DPP, there was no sign of the new brighter version of the image in my original folder which contained all my original pictures in the Mypictures folder, nor was it in the desktop folder. And as I don't print my own images - I upload them on to Truprint's site - it's the Mypictures folder that I use to upload them all to Truprint. So I want any edited images I create to appear in Mypictures

Thanks for any tips

11 REPLIES 11

So, on my camera, when I went to the first thing (1) in the menu settings, and then picture quality, and I moved away from the 3 RAW choices and set it where it just says " - " , and went to Jpeg and set it on " L ",   was I not choosing to take pictures as Jpegs rather than RAW?

And if I was taking them as jpegs, why is it necessary now to convert the images in DPP to jpegs?

It's not necessary to convert them if they are jpg's BUT it is very smart to convert your edits to a new jpg. IF the software were to let you just save your edits your original file will be modified in a way that can't be reversed later. Creating a new jpg protects you from your own mistakes, allows new edits, and gives you the option to use better software as it's created later on to do an even better job to our important photos.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements