cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 2 High CPU usage

balaka
Apprentice

Hi,

Using the EOS Utility with a 700d in Live View causes a constant CPU spike of over 150% in Activity Monitor

This in turn causes the internal fan to run continuosly, ruining the audio recording.

Seems like there's a huge memory leak in the software. I've updated to the latest version of the EOS Utility compatible with the 700d, closed all other applications etc and nothing works.

Is there a fix for this? I daresay this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer anywhere.

Specs:

EOS Utility (v2.14.10.2)

Canon 700d (firmware v1.1.4)

2012 Macbook Pro, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7, 8Gb Ram

OSX 10.11.2

11 REPLIES 11

jvdp
Apprentice

Has anyone tried using an older version or alternative  software ?

There is still a bit of a memory leak or similar issue in the PC version also.  I shot 800 images Friday afternnon at a series of soccer scrimmages using my 1DX 2 and 1DX bodies.  After using quick check to select around 120 of these images I found that DPP became much less responsive after about every 20-25 edit/conversions and exiting and restarting DPP would clear this for another 20 to 25 images.

Note that DPP memory usage never went over 3 gigs and I am using a system with dual Intel Xeon 8 core processors with 128 GB per processor so it wasn't running into a lack of system resources during this slowdown.  Regardless of whether it is running fast or slow in DPP,  system memory load never goes over 8% running DPP and several other programs and processor utilization spikes at under 25% during conversion to JPG regardless of whether DPP is highly responsive or sluggish and sits at 1 to 9% during typical usage of DPP.

I see that 4.10.4 is available for Windows and I am currently downloading it to see if it has addressed this slowdown.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements